care and feeding of a high lift jack

care and feeding of a high lift jack

IOPort51

NOT the voice of reason Jeep-CJ.com
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 cj-5
4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker,
skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^)

2006 Toyota Tacoma
I was just reading a post where a member remarked about the stability he has when he puts the high lift in the end of the tube bumper and how glad he is he did not cap the ends.
It occurs to me at this point that I have never actually had to lift the CJ with the High lift. I have used the jack on the truck several times but it has bumpers on both ends.
How about some input on how you lift your CJ weather it be for getting unstuck or, heaven forbid, changing a flat tire.
The high lift tractor jack is, no doubt, the most unstable, poorly designed piece of junk I have ever used but they seem to be the weapon of choice for our chosen pass time, so lets hear how you deal with it and / or any interesting pages I need to read?:cool:

well. I assume you tested it and know how to use it correct?
So many guys have never even cycled theirs once. Next buy a rebuild kit and put it in your recovery gear along with a can of WD40.
OK, it is a piece of ancient technology that really needs to be replaced, but with what, it works just to good. It is dangerous so use it very carefully. And give a good look at the accessories Hilift sells as these make it a lot safer, The tire hook is really nice as is the bigger foot. I learned long ago it is not very stable on the bumper, I prefer to use my rock rails and lift the Jeep from the side if there is a Flat, of course this means I need to be in position for that and sometimes I have to use a bumper. If it is someone else's vehicle. I hand them the jack, tell them it is up to them, I will not be responsible for damage to their vehicle.
For recovery it is really a job of what works that you do, but again remember it is a deadly tool and jack slowly looking for signs it may slide, and when setting up make sure it will not do body damage if it moves about.
I consider it a must have, but only use it when I absolutely need to, I bought an X-Jack to use before the Hilift and those are over 2 bills if that tells you how dangerous I consider a Hilift.

A hi-lift jack (I have 3 of them) is my only jack, in the shop, on the trail, and at home.
Used properly, they are a great tool. If not used right, yea they can be dangerous. Learn to use it with common sense and it will not fail you.

The few times I have had to use mine it scares the hell out of me.:eek:

You are a smart man Old Dog, any man with brains knows the Hilift is a very dangerous tool, but needed. They will not pull it out if they have another option

IMHO the Hi-Lift jack is a indispensable tool of the 4-wheeler/rancher.
I've use one in so many situations from fixing a barbed wire fence to extracting drunken idiots from wrecked vehicles.
Just like any other tool, they must be treated with respect or they will bite you on the A BAD WORD.;)

I guess the biggest question I have about the high lift is where to place it. Under the front bumper is a no-brain-er but the back end is a puzzle. I have seen the wheel hooks/strap thing that looks like a good way to lift without damaging your sheet metal, I see there are a few out there, how well do they work? How about that plastic "foot" thing, will it cause the jack to actually stand up on its own?:cool:

I bought the plastic foot.It's good for keeping the jack from sinking in the ground.Probably easier to carry than blocks.Even thou I have it I still carry wooden blocks[glue lams work the best.] but not as many.Stability my answer would be no.It's a confidence builder item maybe to much.Common Sense is still the best.Unfortunately you can't buy that.
Mike

Yes IO, I completely agree that aside from the railroad jack that my grandfather gave me, the hi-lift is an ancient piece of technology that scares the bejeses out of me everytime I've had to use it. I also have one of the plastic foot things, an awesome x-mas gift from my brother a few years ago, the last time I used the high-lift I actually ratchet strapped the foot to the base of the high-lift, it did seem to add a bit more stability.

I too prefer to stick to lifting the entire side of a vehicle with a high-lift rather than just one corner, for some reason using a high-lift on just one corner never works out well for me.

Last edited:
Actually whenever I jack with mine,I follow it up with wooden blocks.If it does go it ain't gonna drop more than 6" and that'll still scare the hell out of you.

The few times I have had to use mine it scares the hell out of me.:eek:

I'm with you. Mine has been relegated to my work traier and get's used on the jobsite. It's a handy dandy tool, but a dangerous son of a gun.

Scary is a good description, but it causes me to RESPECT the use of it... any jack can fail/ slip at the most inopportune time. Having grown up using the old school bumper jack that was factory equipment on american cars probably helps; in other words, not much good for more than changing a tire. Still, have the factory jack that came with my CJ, but it's mostly of a conversation piece. For me, the Hi-Lift only gets used off the beaten path where no other jack will cut it; I too have the heavy plastic base. OBTW, don't forget to do the periodic maintenance to keep it working at it's peek...:chug:

Actually whenever I jack with mine,I follow it up with wooden blocks.If it does go it ain't gonna drop more than 6" and that'll still scare the hell out of you.

Wooden blocks, Tires, what ever it takes

Attachments

• IMG_0243_800x600.jpg
    IMG_0243_800x600.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 120
I feel safer doing it like this if possable. ;)

Attachments

• zoe_3.jpg
    zoe_3.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 135
since you asked about care, I've had mine since the 70's and all I ever do is squirt some motor oil on the working mechanism. It still works as good as it ever has. But like I said before, I only use it when I HAVE to.

Wooden blocks, Tires, what ever it takes
I think I'll skip on the tire prop and crawling under it..Couldn't see what the rope was tied too but looks like the jack.:eek: I've used sprayed graphite on my jack seems cut down on the dirt sticken to it.Course I haven't needed it in a year which good.
Mike

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks