Brake Bleeding - Proportioning Valve

Brake Bleeding - Proportioning Valve

CDT540

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7
258, 5 spd
I need to bleed the brakes on a '83 CJ7 I just purchsed. My repair manual says to use special tool "XXXX" on the proportion valve before attempting to bleed. Well of course I do not have that tool nor does the manual say what the tool does so I don't know how to create a work around. I see on the end of the valve here is a rubber cover over what appears to be a plunger of some sort. Would someone give the 123s on how to address this and get my brakes bleed.

Thanks,

Chris
'83 CJ7 258-4spd
Austin, TX

I have bleed many things over the years and have never bleed the proportioning valve or know why you would need to. That said if it was me I would just bleed the brakes and not worry about it. Maybe someone smarter than me will chime in with why you would need to do this I would love to hear why.

http://www.restockit.com/proportioning-valve-depressor-for-abs-brake-systems-%28otc7853%29.html?source=IDx20111014x00001g&utm_source=IDx20111014x00001g&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=comparison&utm_term=DynamicPropertyName_SKU&bvar10=googlepla&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=OTC7853&kw={keyword}&adtype=pla

this little gizmo clips onto the little button on the prop valve. Or you can have a friend push it in with a screw driver. I am not going to voice an opinion on the usefulness of this tool but if the manual thinks it's a good idea they may know what they are talking about.

From what I understand it negates the bias and allows equal flow to front and back but that's just something I read someplace.:cool:

I diregarded the proportion valve and bleed as usual with the Mityvac and it went fine. Thanks for the feedback...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks