cwiehle0

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7
07 Commander,
06 Mazda
Morning guys,

I tried a search on this with no luck. I'm installing a 4wd hdw tub on my 86 CJ and have some questions for you all if anyone can help. I posted a rudimentery drawing below but it keeps loading real small. I numbered the body mounts 1-4 starting front to rear respectively.
Assuming the frame has no rake built in at the factory, I leveled it the best I could for now. I am also going to assume for now, unless someone tells me otherwise that the body should be level to the frame.
The #4 mount was the shortest bushing size so I started there with 1.5" spacers. to get the body level I had to put approx. 1.5" spacers in the #1 position. With the body now fairly level I measured the #2 mount gap needing approx a 2.5" bushing and the #3 mount needing approx a 2.25" bushing.

Do these measurements sound good to you guys. I have the 2' long length of rubber and want to get some opinions before I start cutting. I was going to lift the body a 1/2 " or so over stock height, but it already seems fairly high with needing that 2.5" bushing in the #2 position.

Any and all advice on this will be well appreciated.

If anything needs clarification let me know.
Thanks Chris

jeepbodymounts-1.png

I have a 73 and a 76 CJ. Not sure how this is different from the 86. I can tell you this. Getting the body and frame to fit perfectly is a headache. I'm not sure how you are levelling the setup, but here are a few suggestions.

1) Get frame as level as possible left to right. I think I put a jack stand under the frame to get the springs out of the equation. Then I adjusted the stands and shimmed to make this happen. I also set the frame mounts up so the tub would sit level front to rear. This is trickier because the bottom of the tub has some angles built into it. I think I levelled the center of the frame where the front floor sits.

2) Then set the tub on top and bolt it down maintaining a level body. The fiberglass may have some variations, but shimming should get this straight. The front mounts (#1 in the front) generally have a taller mount than the others. This is certainly true on my 73. Not sure on your year.

Hope this helps.

You're on the right track.

Level the frame, put the tub on and make sure it's level. You never know what the tub may have. Some are better than others but can vary a lot.

Then using the hood and grill, making sure it's also level, figure out the height needed.

Jonbuilt you type faster than I.

I manage to fat finger my words in. I hope our fellow jeeper can make some progress getting his machine back together. Cheers.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks