Frame Bar that goes between motor mounts

Frame Bar that goes between motor mounts

NotTJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 258 T150 D20 D30 AMC20 33" Yoko MT
Looking at a friends Jeep last weekend I noticed a bar between his 258 motor mounts. His is an 84 I think. My 78 does not have a bar between mounts. Should a 78 have this? Should I add one?

My 83 has one, it helps to stop the frame rails from spreading apart

Im not sure if yours was factory equipped tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what year that was introduced. Here's a diagram showing it (part #12 in the pic). Wish the drawing was more clear - sorry. The part # is J535-8188 with the description as "BAR, Tie". I believe it is a solid 5/8" steel rod flattened and bent at the ends as opposed to hollow tubing and is indeed to prevent the frame rails from spreading apart. CJs with 6 or 8 cylinder engines had them, not the 4-bangers. It attaches to one motor mount bolt on each side.
frame_bar_diagram.jpg

And here's a shot of a '79 CJ frame (upside down) with the bar installed.
frame_bar.jpg

Well my 4 banger came off the truck with one of those. Only got taken off when my 4 banger was removed and replaced with a rebuilt 258. :D It’s back on again.

Well my 4 banger came off the truck with one of those. Only got taken off when my 4 banger was removed and replaced with a rebuilt 258. :D It’s back on again.
I stand corrected. I read somewhere (I thought) that they were not included with 4-cyl engines. Good to know. I had heard that they were only used on heavier engines where the risk of frame spread was greater. I have had three CJs (two '77 and my current '84) and none had one; all removed by POs I assume. I don't have one on my current rig that came with the 258 6-cyl stock; and now I have a SBC in there. Maybe I should make one and install it.

I think it would be nice to have. I assume the V8 and 258 use the same bar? I wish we could confirm whether 1978,had them but if they mount between motor mount bolts it should fit.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom