Trans AX15 swap advice

Trans AX15 swap advice

CJjeeperton

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7, TJ (daily)
Hey guys, new to the forum. I have an 85 CJ7 with the 258 inline-6 motor, Dana 300 T-case, and T5 transmission (currently). The T5 finally went out on me and of course, I'm thinking about throwing an Aisin AX15 in there. I've actually never bought a rebuilt/ remanufactured/ used transmission before so I want to make sure I get a good bang for my buck. I found a remanned AX15 here, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=AX15 for only 1600 with free shipping to my shop and a 3-year warranty. Didn't seem like too bad of a deal from what I have seen but I've never heard of this company so not sure about the quality and I'm not going to shell out that much money without knowing that. Does anyone have any experience with those guys or have an online transmission retailer they've used before? Any and all recommendations are welcome

You can’t go wrong sourcing it from Novak.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
I read your post and was thinking, yeah, this probably wont end well... so I did a quick google of the 800 number, landed on the BBB site, yeah, do not move forward. They got one star rating, likely only because there is not a " no star " option, have a look for yourself. And thats just the folks that took the time to bother with a BBB complaint.,...

https://www.bbb.org/us/de/rehoboth-beach/profile/online-retailer/car-part-planet-0251-92008343

I did not go any farther than that, and I will share, you best be a good gambler if your going to buy an online transmission. Find a local vendor, who you can look in the eye, as in walk in their shop.

Buying a trans online blind, gosh, yeah, I cant wrap my mind around how BADLY that can go, for allot of reasons. As a full time wrench, I only re-build powertrain, and have been since the early 80s, so I kind of have a feel for how bad you can get ripped with a blind out of town purchase that you dont know who it is your buying from. The latitude for fraud is almost not even describable. Not suggesting the guy across town cant or wont fleece you, but online blind is nuts, or at least very much higher risk, in my opinion. Hope this brings a different view to your project, and good luck !

After thought, dont let a warranty lure you in, it can be worth less than the paper its printed on, even with a lawsuit you might have to apply to it..

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom