Electrical Anyway to rewire the 4 way flasher?

Electrical Anyway to rewire the 4 way flasher?

78cj5jeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78CJ5 Jeep
Good Morning All.

The Hazard Button broke off and I wondering if there is a way to just rig up a New 4 Way Flasher Button?

David Phelps
Magalia, CA
78 CJ5, 304 V8, SM420, Dual Stick Dana 20 w/Teraflex Low Gear
35" Creepy Crawlers, 4" Lift, 4:56 ARB's in Both, Onboard Air System
Howell Fuel Injection, DT Headers HEI Dist.

If you mean the button on the steering column at about the 5:00 position that connects to the blinker switch inside the column, it's easy enough to replace the blinker switch in there. If the switch is still good and just the button is broken, remove the mounting screw inside the button that screws into the plastic mechanism in the switch. Then a salvage yard button can easily be put on. Any GM vehicle with that button type will work. Trying to rewire a separate switch somewhere else would be involved. You could do it by accessing the wiring that goes up the column to that blinker switch, but I believe it would be more trouble than just replacing the stock switch in the column.

I am about to tackle this as well and just found a how-to video on Youtube.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

TomJames
Bethlehem, KY
1982 CJ7, 258, T-4

Before you tear into the column, verify whether the exterior knob itself is what is broken or if the actual blinker switch inside the column is broken. If you watch the video, you'll see that the external switch knob (a 2-piece knob with a single mounting screw in the center) screws into the blinker switch plastic part at about the 5:00 position. If you remove the external knob and look up in there you can see the threaded hole in the plastic, if it's all still in tact. If that actual plastic is broken, the hole is stripped, or the switch is in some other way defective or broke (won't switch into position, etc) then replace it. But if all you need is the external button assembly (2 pieces, spring, mounting screw) you can get that at any salvage yard or new online and replace it without tearing into the column.

I am about to tackle this as well and just found a how-to video on Youtube.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

TomJames
Bethlehem, KY
1982 CJ7, 258, T-4
That video is for the turn signal. Are you working on the hazard or the turn signal?

Before you tear into the column, verify whether the exterior knob itself is what is broken or if the actual blinker switch inside the column is broken. If you watch the video, you'll see that the external switch knob (a 2-piece knob with a single mounting screw in the center) screws into the blinker switch plastic part at about the 5:00 position. If you remove the external knob and look up in there you can see the threaded hole in the plastic, if it's all still in tact. If that actual plastic is broken, the hole is stripped, or the switch is in some other way defective or broke (won't switch into position, etc) then replace it. But if all you need is the external button assembly (2 pieces, spring, mounting screw) you can get that at any salvage yard or new online and replace it without tearing into the column.
Thanks, switch is indeed bad and I am replacing everything that is not working perfectly. I've been putting this off for two years. Original AC Delco part has been ordered. I've heard some of the aftermarket parts are less than desirable. I appreciate your input.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom