Misc. Any jeep ideas for amputees ?

Misc. Any jeep ideas for amputees ?

cj5orion

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'80 cj5,304
Any jeep ideas for amputees ?
Had my right lower leg cut off 5/22,still healing up.
But...when I am ready to roll again,,,anybody out there got ideas about getting up n in ? n driving ?
She's lifted enough that a "1 step" won't work n then besides the "hand controlled throttle controls" has anybody got some other ideas ?
Probably not to many 1 legged keepers out there but...damn...I miss driving the ole girl !

Any jeep ideas for amputees ?
Had my right lower leg cut off 5/22,still healing up.
But...when I am ready to roll again,,,anybody out there got ideas about getting up n in ? n driving ?
She's lifted enough that a "1 step" won't work n then besides the "hand controlled throttle controls" has anybody got some other ideas ?
Probably not to many 1 legged keepers out there but...damn...I miss driving the ole girl !
Good question and I'm interested also. I'm kinda in the same boat but different. Due to my RA I cannot stand any more and have one heck of a time getting in and out of trucks. I can crawl though.

20230727_141915.jpg

I'm guessing it's your right leg? How about switching to an auto trans and moving the throttle / brake to the left?

Auto tranny...nah, I'm too "old school" to do that
Jeeps are made to drive and enjoy the fun of off road n just plain ole enjoying the drive. Autos take alot of that fun away !
But I gotta admit,driving my auto work truck is easy !

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
There was a younger guy on another forum that was trying to get his Jeep put together. He was in a wheelchair and paralyzed I think from mid chest area down. He tried a couple of shops. Neither were very near where he lived. Think he gave money upfront for work to be done, but each time the work was not done and money gone through. He finally had to sell the parts off. I believe his plan was for some type of boom winch type of device to get him into position. Just be careful with who you get help from if you don’t do it yourself. That warning includes anyone getting work done. Good luck. :chug:

One resource: Amputee Coalition

I do know that left foot accelerators are quite common. So that seems easy. It's the manual trans with a clutch that's the challenge. I have only ever seen (and not that many) left foot accelerators for cars with auto trans. Then you just operate the brake and the gas with your left foot (one at a time of course). I did convert my jeep to auto (with overdrive) and love not shifting so much like the 5-speed had me doing. In terms of climbing in/out, a swivel base on the seat may help. That is also common on vehicles converted for mobility-challenged drivers. Aries Automotive offers an electric running board or powered side step that lowers and raises to aid in getting in/out of a lifted vehicle. Their product can be found on the JustForJeeps.com web site. AMP also makes what they call the "Power Step" and is available on Amazon. I would also think it would be helpful to have grab handles on the inside of the windshield frame. Of course you can't mount such to the windshield frame itself, but if you add a front windshield hoop to your roll cage, then you could add some handles as well. Here's a shot of mine where I added the windshield hoop and then some grab handles (red circle).

Driver_Side.jpg

I had to think about any reply so what I did was check you tube, there are several right leg below knee amps, who drive with either some device or with a prosthesis. None that I saw drive a stick shift. If the clutch could be adapted like a motorcycle type unit maybe some really smart guy could figure out the rest, I am not that guy good luck and I hope you can return to jeepin soon.

Yea,checked the Power Steps,"mucho denaros !“. I have a 6" suspension/3" body lift so jus getting up n in is a problem.
The Jeeps foot/leg room is to small to have the prosthetic on to drive and a very slow healing large open wound keeps me from even putting it on! Really hinders getting up n in !
If...I drive slow and easy and wait for the proper RPM 's...I can shift without the clutch,OK for street,not for off road,
"I'm a still searchin"

9" of total lift, and I assume larger tires as well - wow! Perhaps need to look at an elevator option :)

Yea,checked the Power Steps,"mucho denaros !“. I have a 6" suspension/3" body lift so jus getting up n in is a problem.
The Jeeps foot/leg room is to small to have the prosthetic on to drive and a very slow healing large open wound keeps me from even putting it on! Really hinders getting up n in !
If...I drive slow and easy and wait for the proper RPM 's...I can shift without the clutch,OK for street,not for off road,
"I'm a still searchin"
my last cj I only used the clutch for take off and back up on or off road, 4spd trans idk what trans, in low range slow haha ya it ground now and then. I can and do drive a Western Star semi truck off road it has a 10spd main and 4 aux for transmission no synchro and I do fine. My current cj has the Np435 ford trans and i use the clutch most of the time, its rebuilt so i really dont want to do that sooner than i have too.

How about converting to hydraulic clutch that is hand operated (low pressure like a drift brake)? Pretty easy to do and then only use left foot for throttle and brake?

Sorry to hear about your life changing event. I don't know how attached you are to your current CJ5, but after you total the cost of all the changes that have to be made to your current platform, you may be better off selling it and going with an auto CJ7. I hear what you are saying about the manual, however, My last trip to Moab was amongst a ton of new jeeps running automatic trans and going anywhere they wanted. The CJ7 would allow you more room in the drivers seat and you would still be in the offroad game. Nine inches of lift is hard for most of us to get into as well. Something around 4 inches total with larger tires and a proper dif gearing will take you anywhere you want to go. Just my $.02, if you you're committed to staying with what you have, It could get pricey. Maybe it's time for a change

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
I would like to add, I gave a young man with an amputation similar to yours, instruction in flying airplanes. He obtained a private pilot certificate and is still flying to this day. He was able to work the right rudder without problem and transferred that ability to operate his car without hand controls. It may be that you can wear the prosthetic device in a CJ7 and eliminate many of your problems. Maybe to the point of keeping the manual trans.

I don't want to discourage you from driving a stick but...consider sometimes in an emergency situation where you have to stop very very quick, usually you instinctively slam both feet down simultaneously on the clutch and brake or the engine still clutch engaged will hinder stopping rapidly. So you will not want to rely on just slipping the clutch, I feel you may have an accident even if not intentional. A good working handbrake will be needed for starting and all stop and go traffic. A hand operated clutch but then you only have one hand on the wheel steering while the other is clutching, not an issue unless again in an emergency situation. Think through all driving situations before driving to make sure your prepared for the unexpected.
You vehicle will need a lot of customization, instead of just opting for an automatic, maybe an automatic with a manual valve body, so you still shift through the gears but without a clutch.
This would eliminate the need to hit 2 pedals in an emergency, with throttle pedal relocation, you'd be down to figuring the best way to get in.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom