An electrical nightmare

An electrical nightmare

stevenalex

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ5 - 258 cu inline 6, T-18 trans 5 spd,
'10 Wrangler V6
We have managed to get the undercarriage nearly done, now we are moving on to the electrical mess. When we turn the headlights on the signals do not work. But when the headlights are off all of the signal lights operate. I am thinking there is a short somewhere, but for how old the wires are I don't think I want to chase down the short. I am going to buy a new wiring harness and replace all of the wires everywhere, but my question is can I get away with buying a universal wiring harness or do I have to buy the one specific to the vehicle. The reason I ask is because I plan on putting in a 4 toggle switch in so I can put on the accessories, 2 winches, kc lights and whatever else we come up with. Can someone please send some guidance my way

The light problem sounds like a bad ground to me - very common in CJ's...

As for the harness, you can get by with a universal but the Painless harness for your vehicle really make life much more bearable. What year CJ? What Model? If you add some information to you profile page then we will know imediately what Jeep we are talking about... :)

All I can say is thank God for Centech! :notworthy:

Yes centech is a very nice sight, and very competitive, saving roughly a bill to any competitor. I only asked in reference to the universal harness to save money, but just wanted a second opinion. I strongly agree with that, I just want my better half to see what others think, she is the penny pincher, lol

Yes centech is a very nice sight, and very competitive, saving roughly a bill to any competitor. I only asked in reference to the universal harness to save money, but just wanted a second opinion. I strongly agree with that, I just want my better half to see what others think, she is the penny pincher, lol

I am NOT good with electrical problems and the grief they cause. In the long run, the cost of a new "plu N play" harness is to me, a savings in time effort and money.No chasing problems all over holy hell. and you get to drive your Jeep rather than trying to figure out what the hell went wrong this time. :mad: Every Jeep I have done, or will do, get's a new harness!!

I am an electrician, so one time I decided to just buy the wire, a fuse block and go for it. Never again. It is so simple to go with the kits. I cannot speak for the quality of them all, or the simplicity of them all, but the Painless kit is a nice one, just pricey.
Having only owned 2 new jeeps, and having owned a lot of used jeeps, I can tell you what the average Joe does to a harness is a criminal act. Usually a rewire is needed once it has gone through a few hands.

I can tell you what the average Joe does to a harness is a criminal act. Usually a rewire is needed once it has gone through a few hands.

HA! Ever see the movie "Christmas story" ? Remember the scene when the old man is trying to plug in the christmas tree lights and blows a fuse? Sparks flying off of a big jumble of wires, and he says...well, there's just one too many! And cuts one out :D Makes me think of a CJ wiring every time!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom