Body Aftermarket Windshield Frame for Driver Grade Jeep?

Body Aftermarket Windshield Frame for Driver Grade Jeep?

NotTJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 258 T150 D20 D30 AMC20 33" Yoko MT
Guys I am building my CJ7 to be fun off and on-road. No part of this build is to restore to original. My windshield frame has rot away because of a leaky hardtop seal. I would like an OEM frame but that takes time to find. Seems like a lot of aftermarket ones out there. Are they acceptable and satisfactory enough for a driver grade Jeep? I can do some tweaking and adjusting to make it fit better but of course theres only so much you can do on a windshield frame. If you can give me insight I would appreciate it - if you can suggest an aftermarket frame that would be perfect.

Omix has a complete kit with the frame, cowl seal, weatherstripping for the glass, etc for less than $300 (#12006.12). Or get a frame only from Crown for about $160 (#J5758971).

I'd keep an eye out and source a serviceable original

Lotta fitment issues with the repop stuff...not to mention cut rate construction

My experience with a repop frame. I found an older repop, local from a young CJ'r who's dad had it sitting in the garage for as long as he could remember. i'd says '90's, new in the box. Forget the brand name. As far as fitment goes. Everything fit great, wipers, glass, etc. Only issue i have is where the hinge bolts to the frame. There is not enough adjustment and frame sits higher than it should be. 1/4-3/8 or so. Not a big deal with a soft top, bikini top, but my hard top sits up by about that much. One thing to keep in mind is, any repop frame is going to be made from a thinner gauge sheet metal than factory which could add to the usual CJ wiper assembly issues. i've bought glass n gaskets from this guy. He sells frame also. Where he gets them i dunno. But he seems to swear by them. https://www.jeepglass.com/6875.htm You can always give him a call and he might have more insight.

Your best option other than stock or repop. Would be to find a good stock YJ frame and modify it to work on a CJ. What i am in the process of doing atm. I stumbled upon a 99% rust free frame in the junk yard over the summer while looking for something else. Got it for $100 with wipers n wiper motor. Was a sweet YJ, why it was in the junkyard, i dunno. Anyways, Easy mod as all you need to do is cut the defrost holes out. The big plus when converting a YJ frame is you get the upgraded wiper assembly. Which is huge, CJ wiper assemblies area known problem. Not sure there is a thread on this forum that has a walk thru for the YJ to CJ frame conversion. I don't wanna link to another forum but i simple google search should bring something up for you.

Edit: You need to modify the interior windshield frame hold downs as well.

Late to the party, but if you're interested in a windshield frame still...
I looked in our "boneyard" this weekend for a roll bar for another guy on this site and snapped some pics to take inventory of what's all down there.
My brothers and I have to start cleaning out this yard and shop to get ready to sell it. Elderly father's stuff.

CJ parts.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks