A/C blower upgrade

A/C blower upgrade

Formula 40PC

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'76 CJ7, 360, TH400, Quadratrac
Does anyone know if the 78 and up CJs had a resistor for the HVAC blower or was it all controlled by the 3 speed control knob.
I have my heater box out of my 76 CJ7 and was thinking about adding multi-speed to the unit and have found the correct motor and I have the 3 speed control from an 85 CJ. Trying to piece together a better system while I have it torn apart.
Thanks

Just by the switch. (I upgraded the motor in my 76)

Hack, What did you use for a motor? I have a 2006 chevy express motor ordered. I was researching the resistor and wiring with plugs they used also but the plug from the resistor has 6 wires and I can find a wiring diagram to let me know what goes to what.
Did you make yours multi speed? If so how?

So I jumped right in with my heater upgrade and I am just about finished and have all the parts. Problem now is I thought I had 2 wires coming off the motor but I actually have 3, orange, red and black. The motor and mounting plate look completely original and the motor had a jeep stock part # on it. Is this three lead motor the normal correct one? I have read some many posts about 2 wire motors but now I need to know how to wire my new(old) 3 position(4prong) switch to my 3 speed(4prong) resistor to my 3 wire motor???
Anyone have any suggestions??

Usually a black wire is for ground. A CJ blower motor is grounded thru the housing. That would leave two wires and two speeds? I have heard of guys using a Blazer motor upgrade for CJs, I have put my CJ heater out to pasture.

I have a newer CJ 3 speed switch now, is there any way for me to make my motor 3 speed with just the switch? Or do I need a resistor?

I am not really sure how it should be wired. The later heater assy wiring has a resistor with 3 wires to it and the high speed wire going to the resistor and the blower motor. The CJ blower motor has only the one wire going to it. You might just want to get some wires with a fuse for the hot line and use a trial and error method of how its wired and using a resistor.

Hack, What did you use for a motor?
I got the motor from Arizona Mobile Air. It was the same size as the 76 OEM 2spd, but they had to cut down the shaft to the same length. Wired it in using the OEM 3 spd switch and harness connector from a later model CJ.

WiringHole005.jpg

Finally completed the task, thanks for all the help. I ended up with a resistor and plug from a 92 ford bronco, now I have 3 speeds including a super high. The wife and I went out for a ride with the doors off today and the heat was noticeable even with no doors so I would guess it will be a hot box with the doors on. I will post pics of all the upgrades included in this with part #s for other 76 CJ owners.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks