Trans '85 CJ7 popping out or third gear

Trans '85 CJ7 popping out or third gear

gdwilder

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7
My '85 CJ7 is popping out of third gear. Can it be repaired from the top? can you tell from the photo if it is a T176?

Attachments

• Jeep CJ7 shifter.jpg
    Jeep CJ7 shifter.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 5
The shift knob is for a four speed and the t-176 was stock for a 85 CJ but to be sure you should look under the CJ and be sure it has not been changed. You can find the T-176 in our data base here -->> https://jeep-cj.com/community/threads/manual-cj-transmissions.43554/ or just click on the T-176 keyword.

If it is just worn shift forks they can be replaced by pulling the cover but if it is an internal problem you need to rebuild the transmission.

Shift image.

t176shift.JPG

Morris 4X4 Parts link -->> https://www.morris4x4center.com/tremec-t176-and-t177-transmission-parts.html

And even it is just a shift fork, you should still drop the tranny. Just removing the tunnel cover will provide only Limited space to work to get the trans cover off and access to the parts for a quality job. On the other hand, no big issue dropping the tranny and it's a few hours on a Sat on the work bench type of rebuild effort. The T-150 3-speed and the T-176 4-speed are simple and easy to deal with. Take a good look at the transfer case too while you got the pair out and on the bench.

Not adding to the work but if you drop the trans why not drop the T case and at least fully service it?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks