Misc. 84 CJ7 Fuel Pump too much Pressure

Misc. 84 CJ7 Fuel Pump too much Pressure

mikaelstewart

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 Jeep CJ7 2.5L I-4
'84 CJ7 2.5L Fuel Pump

I am new to this forum and have recently moved my CJ to Hawaii. I was away for 3 months and in that time the fuel pump went out. I replaced it with the proper unit (I think) but it is putting out over 10 PSI, I did try a 2nd pump with the same results. My single barrel Carter is unable to handle this much pressure and has just been rebuilt. What I am gathering is that I need to put a Fuel Pressure Regulator in line to lower it to 3-4 PSI, I'd like to avoid an electric fuel pump.

I am hoping for some direction from this site.

Thanks!

Yes, put a pressure regulator on it. 10 psi is waaaayyy too much pressure!

Where are you measuring the pressure? Outlet line removed from pump and a gauge set there? At the actual carb inlet? Before or after the fuel filter? Best fuel pressures for various carbs:
  • Holley 5-6 PSI
  • Edelbrock 4-5 PSI
  • Stromberg WW 3.5-4 PSI
  • Carter 3-4 PSI
The stock fuel filter, with the return line attached and fully plumbed back to the tank, should act as a regulator of sorts. The 3 way filter near the carb has an outlet on the top that goes to a slightly smaller pipe that heads back to the tank. This relieves the pressure at the filter and takes away the air and vapour. What you have left, if you have the filter mounted correctly, is a small reservoir of low pressure gas in the filter (2-3psi max) above the carb inlet, a fuel pipe with a U bend and a constant supply behind the filter to keep it topped up. I would check that before modding stuff as bandaids to try and correct an underlying issue.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom