Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'80 cj5,304
mine doesnt have one...should it ?
is it a factory thing ?

I'm thinkin of cuttin it out and making it a tailgate

open to your opinions

:notworthy:

As I recall right around those years the tailgate door was ommitted. In my opinion for strength, I think you should leave it as it is if you could. I once removed my gate for a while and the opening did bow out a bit.

As I recall right around those years the tailgate door was ommitted. In my opinion for strength, I think you should leave it as it is if you could. I once removed my gate for a while and the opening did bow out a bit.

hmmm ?
do ya think the "bow" could of been avoided if the "tailgate was not removed for awhile".
maybe a lil diagonal brace welded/bolted in to stop the bow ?

My jeep is lifted with big tires on it as well.Its really hard to load/unload as is.
a tailgate would sure make life easier !

The body that I have bowed from the bottom up at the rear opening. If you were to build a door and install a secure latching system, I would think you would be fine.

Should be 5/16"-18x1/2" flathead.

Awesome I'll check that out. Now for the kicker. What are people using in place of the factory lower tailgate hinges? I'm building a TJ tub trailer with a CJ7 tailgate at the tongue side of the trailer. Ideally, I'd like some proper lower tailgate hinges, but I'm in a bind right now to get this mounted by Thursday night and all the local parts dealers need at least 2wks to order in a fresh set.

My 76 CJ5 didn't come with a tailgate. When I tossed the body, the replacement did:

CJ5.jpg

In order for install a tailgate properly in a CJ5, you should remove the old panel, and then re-enforce the opening:

DSCN0982_zpse2d2a7c9.jpg
The factory hinges are cast parts that probably date back decades. The tailgates are available in the aftermarket. You are on your own for the chains. Unless someone knows of an aftermarket supplier for them. Otherwise, scour the junkyards.

my 80 CJ5 doesn't have the tailgate either. but the funny thing is is where the outline of the tailgate would be it is rusting in perfect lines. i'm thinking about cutting it out and just adding angle iron to the sides of the gate and where the gate would contact the body to add a little structure.

as for hinges my 77 has what i can only say is a home made gate and they just used what looks like heavy duty door hinges. the kind like you would see on a metal factory door, or a heavy barn door. they seem to hold just fine.

Sort of ... reviving old thread.
Still haven't done it,still thinking bout it!
If ya do install,what do ya do for your spare tire mount ???

Sort of ... reviving old thread.
Still haven't done it,still thinking bout it!
If ya do install,what do ya do for your spare tire mount ???
Build a swing-away carrier on the bumper.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom