4 wd indicator lite not working

4 wd indicator lite not working

cdlongjr

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ-5, 1987 Wrangler YJ, 1974 J-10
Socket is hot by 12v test light grounded to the gigar lighter. I used a 2nd test light w/ the point beside the ground side of the socket & have no voltage. I figure the ground is bad, but where does the ground go? It's orange.

It should hook up to a switch on the tranfercase, the switch closes to ground when in 4wd.

What transfer case do you have?

I don't know. No tags on any of the driveline.

You have an 83, that's a dana 300. The 4wd switch is located on top by the 4wd shift arm / rail. See the attached image...

When I ground the socket to the dash, the light works. Should I replace the switch on the transfer case? Or should I unhook the wire to the switch & ground it to see if the light works?

I pulled the wire off the switch & grounded to the frame. The light worked. I pulled the switch & cleaned it up. Is the swirch supposed to be flat where the wire hooks on, or have a stud for the wire to press onto?

I have a temp fix, cut off a brass nail that fit snug into the wire socket, then filed the head down little by little until the cap seated correctly onto the switch. NOW, to tackle the speedo to see if I can get the water temp & fuel gauges working.

Last edited:
I have a tmp fix, cut off a brass nail that fit snug into the wire socket, then filed the head down little by little until the cap seated correctly onto the switch.
Already a seasoned Jeeper! Came up with a fix with nothing but a nail and a file! :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom