360 with 304 heads?

360 with 304 heads?

Buuushman

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77' CJ-5, 360 c.i. motor, T-176 trans, D-300 transfer case w\ twin sticks, Dana 30 front, A.M.C. 20 rear w/ 4.10's, solid axles & trac-lok, 2.5" lift Y.J. springs.
I was tightening up my motor mounts yesterday and noticed under the mount a big "360" cast into the block. The heads are definitely 304- dogleg exhaust ports and all- is this possible? I've been buying all parts for a 304 and I know that most are the same but I may have used a different cam profile etc. if I knew I was dealing with a different animal. Am I missing something or what? I have already beat myself about the head for not noticing this yet so please keep the kicks in the A BAD WORD to one per person.

Thanks,

Bushman

Could be, what are the casting #'s on the heads? 360, 401's third gen have dogleg ports also.

casting #'s will have to wait till I get off work- got the service truck and the jeep is at home, but I have had the headers off and the ports are def. dogleg and so are the headers-:confused:

All third generation 304's, 360's, and 401's have dogleg ports and use the same headers.

O.K.- I was under the (A BAD WORD)umption that it was only 304's that had dogleg exh. ports (kick myself in the head AGAIN)- the p.o. told me it was a 304- so you can delete every post in which I praise my amazingly strong 304- boy do I feel like a donkey right now. I think I will take a break till I can extricate my head from my anal cavity.

Bushdonkey out.

From my Chiltons- C.J.'s did not come stock with a 360- I know nothing about my motor (sigh). It is a sad day.

According to Heritage Jeep Alliance ( a historical jeep group), the 360 was an option on the CJ5 starting in 1972. Just thought you'd like to know.

From my Chiltons- C.J.'s did not come stock with a 360- I know nothing about my motor (sigh). It is a sad day.
Why is this a sad day? A 360 is great! :)

According to Heritage Jeep Alliance ( a historical jeep group), the 360 was an option on the CJ5 starting in 1972. Just thought you'd like to know.
Hmm - not according to any records that I have or have seen. ;)

Ya- I just ran across that info too- and I guess I should not be sad- I've got more cubes than I thought and that is good. Time to run the casting #'s and see what I've really got, if it is a 77' it's the most anemic 360 ever put in a jeep. I just don't like talking out of my A BAD WORD and it seems I have been for a while now and my ignorance is no excuse. :dung:.

If it will make you feel better I am sure most of us are laughing our back sides off. You know we are all here for you Buuushman.:D

Ya- I just ran across that info too- and I guess I should not be sad- I've got more cubes than I thought and that is good. Time to run the casting #'s and see what I've really got, if it is a 77' it's the most anemic 360 ever put in a jeep. I just don't like talking out of my A BAD WORD and it seems I have been for a while now and my ignorance is no excuse. :dung:.

If it will make you feel better I am sure most of us are laughing our back sides off. You know we are all here for you Buuushman.:D

Thanks IO- I have an icepack on my ego as we speak- :chug:

Oh, btw- what kind of difference am I looking at since I installed a cam with a profile designed for a 304 instead of a 360? it runs great but I wonder how much H.P. I threw away?

Thanks,

Buuushman

So your the proud owner of a 360 now huh. Time for some :chug:.

That had to be the easiest engine upgrade in the history of the world.:D

I'm about :chug::chug::chug:ahead of ya- thanks!

That had to be the easiest engine upgrade in the history of the world.:D

Now time to try out that 4 barrel that I thought my 304 was too small for:rolleyes:

Hey, don't feel to bad...I did exactly the same thing when I bought my CJ. The PO told me, and the underhood stickers verified that it was a 304 under the hood. But the engine pulled real strong, even with the upgrades already on it.
Eventually I looked in the same spot you did and found the '360' cast into the block...:beer:

BTW, a 670 CFM carb works pretty good for a mild built 360...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks