350 starters and flexplates

350 starters and flexplates

ttbiker

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'76 CJ7
Hi everyone, I recently picked up a '76 CJ7 with no engine, trans, t-case, or driveshafts. I have decided to put in a chevy 350 and th350. I already bought my transmission and Dana 20 t-case. Now I am trying to figure out the flexplate and torque converter. The converter I want uses the larger mount pattern for the 168 tooth flexplate. I know that I can get a flexplate that will fit, so that's not an issue.
The problem is I don't know if all the blocks have the starter mount pattern for that flexplate. Due to the lack of options at my local wrecking yards, the only engine I can get is a early 90's and up.
So, my question is do all the blocks of that time have both starter patterns? This may be a silly question, but ive always driven fords, so I have no idea how the Chevy blocks are set up.
Due to my terrible schedule the wrecking yards are always closed when im off work. So, I havn't been able to just go and look. I will literally have to take a one day "vacation" just to pick up the engine when I'm ready. I've already looked up the original starter for a mid 90's half ton, and the original is for the small flexplate.
I'm kinda stalled on acquiring my parts now until I figure this out. I've spent hours on google trying to find out, but there just doesn't seem to be a straight answer.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Hi everyone, I recently picked up a '76 CJ7 with no engine, trans, t-case, or driveshafts. I have decided to put in a chevy 350 and th350. I already bought my transmission and Dana 20 t-case. Now I am trying to figure out the flexplate and torque converter. The converter I want uses the larger mount pattern for the 168 tooth flexplate. I know that I can get a flexplate that will fit, so that's not an issue.
The problem is I don't know if all the blocks have the starter mount pattern for that flexplate. Due to the lack of options at my local wrecking yards, the only engine I can get is a early 90's and up.
So, my question is do all the blocks of that time have both starter patterns? This may be a silly question, but ive always driven fords, so I have no idea how the Chevy blocks are set up.
Due to my terrible schedule the wrecking yards are always closed when im off work. So, I havn't been able to just go and look. I will literally have to take a one day "vacation" just to pick up the engine when I'm ready. I've already looked up the original starter for a mid 90's half ton, and the original is for the small flexplate.
I'm kinda stalled on acquiring my parts now until I figure this out. I've spent hours on google trying to find out, but there just doesn't seem to be a straight answer.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Summit is your best choice to find starters which can bolt up to either pattern.
I have found the blocks are setup for either pattern straight or staggered.

Thanks for the reply. I actually ended up getting a used LT1 motor. It did have both starter patterns. Which is good since the starter that came with it does not work with the flexplate I bought.

Thanks for the reply. I actually ended up getting a used LT1 motor. It did have both starter patterns. Which is good since the starter that came with it does not work with the flexplate I bought.

Nice! Just a heads up the later small blocks with one piece rear main seals are externally balanced and require a matching flex/flywheel.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks