Engine 304 to LS?

Engine 304 to LS?

Markcj79

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 , 304, T18 tranny
So i recently bought a 79 CJ7 with a 304. The 304 is shelled. My question is should I swap it out with an old LS moter I have or have another 304 rebuilt? Has anyone done this and can give me a price comparison between rebuilding or swapping to LS?

I haven’t done the swap but you will be out for a new radiator, hoses wiring, power steering hoses, motor mounts, trans adapter/ flywheel, exhaust, fuel pump and lines

Also if you keep the LS as an EFI you need ignition and computer as well as hi pressure fuel system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well may just have the 304 rebuilt put an edlebrock intake and 4bbl on it. sounds way easier
Way easier, but I love the fuel injection, tuneability, reliability, and parts availability of the GM small block or LS. Had the 304 in two prior CJs and was always dickering with 'em.

There is no set cost for an engine swap. The smart swapper can significantly cut costs. Good luck with your venture.

Keep it AMC all the way. Something about the sound of that AMC firing order. The LS does not produce the same feel. Sure it has more power but you won't miss it in a CJ7.

I went the AMC way 20 years ago because i could buy all factory parts with no expensive swap parts, i found a 360 in the junkyard and gave it a re ring and its been running pretty good since, has always leaked oil tho

I found these guys offering crate motors for $2500, i have no idea about their quality

https://www.sandjengines.com/product/1980~Jeep~CJ-7~663

I haven’t done the swap but you will be out for a new radiator, hoses wiring, power steering hoses, motor mounts, trans adapter/ flywheel, exhaust, fuel pump and lines

Also if you keep the LS as an EFI you need ignition and computer as well as hi pressure fuel system

All of that is true. However, if ya' experience motor failure you can get parts from darn near anywhere and not wait or search. Piece of mind has its value also.

So i recently bought a 79 CJ7 with a 304. The 304 is shelled. My question is should I swap it out with an old LS moter I have or have another 304 rebuilt? Has anyone done this and can give me a price comparison between rebuilding or swapping to LS?
Now I’m a purist at heart and want to keep it all AMC. I’m not a GM fan but I understand why someone would want a LS motor in a Jeep. I bought a 304 years ago and put it in my 86 CJ7 and It felt way better than the in-line 6. The 304 in the CJ7 felt like it was a better set up. I sent the engine out and had it bored out .030 over and added a cam and a Holley carb on it, and felt that it had enough power for me. I’m not mud bogging, this was my daily driver, and occasionally off road use.

I do envy the exhaust note on my friend’s CJ with an AMC v8. But that is about it.

It really comes down to what you plan on using it for how long (i.e long distance drives off road or just occasional puting around) also are you going to do it yourself or pay someone to do it. If you're paying someone to do it an LS swap will be easily 20k by the time you're all said and done.

If it were me I'd have the 304 rebuilt and then top it off with an aluminum intake and a sniper 2100 EFI and if you can source it a decent 5 SPD transmission.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom