258 white smoke, over heating, gas in oil?

258 white smoke, over heating, gas in oil?

badkirk

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ5, 258, ?
I bought a CJ5 in an attempt to become more mechanically inclined! This CJ is a bit of a mess w/ an incomplete wiring, no gauges, and unknown other issues but it ran when I purchased it.

Being a novice i have let it sit for a couple years only running it a few times. Recently it started blowing white smoke and overheating after only a few minutes. I suspected a head gasket leak so went to change oil and coolant as this is something i never did when i purchased it. I suspected to see coolant in the oil but when i pulled the oil plug I learned that the oil had a lot of gas in it.

I've done some searching and common issues I've seen for gas in oil is short trips, running rich (this is likely because it's always run really rich). Or worn rings - could be this as well due to my lack of changing oil and not knowing gas had mixed.

Before i start diagnosing the root of the issue though i'm wondering if it could be a number of other issues since my motor has no gauges, not certain vacuum hoses are present, temp sensors etc.

I'm looking for advice, as a novice in engine repair would you suggest i first get the wiring/gauges complete to ensure i can diagnose the issues better? I did bring home a compression test kit to check but i'd hate to put oil back in the engine just to have it get ruined again.

Subscribed

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Look at the fuel pump and a bad carb, either can dump gas gas into the engine. The diaphragm in fuel pump could have failed on the engine side pumping gas into the crankcase. The carb could be overflowing from the bowl (stuck float), or draining into the intake after shutdown. A rich condition usually is indicated by black sooty smoke and black spark plugs, white smoke is water (steam) being introduced into the cylinders. Pull the valve cover look for milky white substance (oil water mix), if you have it, pull the plugs to see which cylinders have water in them. A plug which has water in the cylinder will be white in color.

Start with the easiest things first. How much gas was in the oil? Just smell or was it thin like water? You said it hadnt been changed in your possession which is at least two years so the oil's not a good data point anyway. If no gauges how do you know it was overheating? Pull the spark plugs keeping track of what cylinder they each came from and note the condition. If you didnt get straight gas when draining the oil and the spark plugs all look the same with some black on them i would put new oil and coolant in and run it again. With oil press and coolant temp gauges if possible.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks