258 Misfire

258 Misfire

lloydwithAf

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler. 4.2 TF999 Dana 300 D30 AMC20
I finally got around to putting my engine back together after a few valves seized and bent a few pushrods on its maiden test run after sitting for a decade. I had a valve job on the head completed(decked 0.010) and installed a new comp cams 262 cam and double chain timing set. I pulled some pushrods out of an 83 258 I had laying around and put it into my 82, they were 0.50” longer. Milling shows the pushrods I installed are the correct ones, so my assumption is whoever rebuilt this engine in the past used an older model pushrod length. When I fired it up, the timing light is showing a miss approximately every 1 in every 3 or so revolutions. I am basing the miss on the sound of the engine and the flashes on the timing light “skipping” every 3rd or so flash on the #1 plug wire.I ran a compression test and the cylinders are all in the 130-140 range so I think that rules out valves being slightly open.
My thoughts are
1: cheapo HEI is crapping out already(with its 5 miles on it).
2:Timing set is off a tooth or two, even though I double checked it when I installed.
3:somehow the slightly longer pushrods(correct length for the year) are affecting it.

I know I need to check pushrod preload. I will have some time this week to do it.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks