Build Thread 1985 CJ7 build.

Build Thread 1985 CJ7 build.
Believe it or not (I don’t wanna jinx myself) but except for those three bolts. And now one screw (for a bracket holding the brake line) everything has come apart too easy. It’s like the PO didn’t know what torque meant. A friend of mine called yesterday and told me the same thing about the wire cup on the angle grinder. I was using a wire wheel on a drill. Gonna swing by harbor freight (the Target for men) and get a few for my grinder as well as a face shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the best is when the wires come out of the cup and brush at full speed lol had to pick a few out of my arms and thighs

the best is when the wires come out of the cup and brush at full speed lol had to pick a few out of my arms and thighs

Yeah. While I’m picking them up I’m gonna get a full face shield.

Right about now I’m hating my grinder. But after a few hours the front section of the frame and half of the firewall has been brought down to bare metal. Cleaned and primed. I still need to do the motor mounts and the passenger side shock tower, but my wife will kill me if I don’t work on the nursery today.
4ab2f1ae5b132b13ef79ff465688b98a.jpg
86b6ade6616f5fcfb5f6c93feb298ab3.jpg
30ac68c70e7c85a1c0e52dab26dfb91f.jpg

Being that it’s Tarzan humid in South Florida I’m gonna let this cure for a few days. Then paint her all up. (Well in all honesty I’ll hopefully finish the firewall tomorrow. But time for a beer and a shower.

what primer are you using? almost looks tan

I'd recommend putting a lift kit on that creeper before things get out of hand. All BS aside while it is at this point I'd make at least one more firewall penetration; most likely at some point you will want to run a wire or two for some other reason. You can plug it off until needed. If you think you may be replacing brake lines this is a good time to get to the proportion valve.

Last edited:
I'd recommend putting a lift kit on that creeper before things get out of hand. All BS aside while it is at this point I'd make at least one more firewall penetration; most likely at some point you will want to run a wire or two for some other reason. You can plug it off until needed. If you think you may be replacing brake lines this is a good time to get to the proportion valve.

Oh it’s definitely getting new brake lines. And without a doubt a new proportion valve. A lot of things are going to be replaced with new components. I should just open my wallet and keep it open lol

Another busy day yesterday. Spent some time stripping the body for removal and most likely the scrap yard.
68fc3fdea3ff30e06b907ba035c5568d.jpg
9680761c84dcd03f7153c37e3ad94fd5.jpg
357d1a6516e9ee3eedff31ae484b5cb6.jpg
507c9a54a0572d8120a5de63ae1da63c.jpg

Now the garage is a little cramped. (More so then before). Think I’m going to have to look into a storage unit for the time being. On a side note my wife ordered me the FSM for my birthday. Can’t wait for it to arrive. I’ve got a crazy work schedule this up and coming weekend so probably won’t be back at it until Wednesday.

Well it’s been a long time since I’ve had an update. Full time work and a new baby put things on hold. But now with Covid 19 I’ve been having a lot of time on my hands. Took the front end out.
e47e96844ed88e8e5f94612953bb6688.jpg

Then stripped everything off and cleaned, primed and painted the parts. The tie rod end for the tie rods stripped out the threads after trying to get it out for an hour. Looks like it won’t just be getting new tie rod ends but the bar too.
689e5007666c2b972a193c83a6e10ca8.jpg

48c10c7708b0487e13a10b21387bab0f.jpg

4835d4e5d94e793fa04b71c22e5d8eb0.jpg

I got the front end reinstalled with just a little bit of aggravation. But I guess that’s to be expected. I’ll post pics in the morning. Tomorrow’s battle will be getting the tub off the frame and moved to the side of the garage. Cherry picker and plywood. Because my wife doesn’t want anyone to come over and just simply lift it. I guess I can’t blame her. Stay safe guys.

8ce116961ac447c4129166386e8c7404.jpg

42725d1d65d69989bdc9f36f85402e4c.jpg

With the help of a couple of friends we got the tub off today. Next up. Cleaning and painting the rest of the frame.

Well. Everyday definitely feels like groundhogs day. With quarantine it’s hard to even tell what day of the week it is. But I’ve been plugging away at cleaning up the frame and getting it ready for paint.
c553780e342ade6f69777ce0a0b3c529.jpg

So far it hasn’t cost me anything. And thank goodness. Covid19 has killed my families finances. Supposed to be going back to work here in South Florida on May 1st but we shall see what the governor says. If so. I’ll be working seven days a week for a while. I’m sure.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom