Engine 1978 CJ5 304 Heads

Engine 1978 CJ5 304 Heads

Moodygoose

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 CJ5,304,3 spd.
Hello all!!
I have 78 CJ5 I am working on that my buddy previously owned. It has been sitting over 10 yrs. And I’m trying to bring it back to life. It has a 304 in it. I broke it down and took everything to the machine shop to get checked out. While checking out the heads, he called and told me both heads are cracked. I’m in the process of searching for a set of heads. My question is, will all 304 heads interchange or do I need to look for the 3231480-2 heads that are on it?
Thanks for any input.

:welcome:
Yes, all 72 and later 304 heads are interchangeable. Just need to be sure the valve seats are hardened or have new hardened seats installed (very common).
If you do find some heads be sure they are not 360 heads as the valves will hit the cylinder walls.
We have a head casing guide in our documents area or just measure the valve diameters.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks