Build Thread 1977 CJ5 bring back to life.

Build Thread 1977 CJ5 bring back to life.

Dannyboy76226

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5
Hello all! I just traded a restored 1989 EZGO 36V Marathon for a 1977 CJ5. I am looking forward to working on this CJ. I have always wanted a CJ (I owned 2 JK prior). I work as an Aircraft Mechanic so I have the mechanical know how. Looking forward to showing you all how Jeep ignorant I am. Here are some pictures from the first few days we brought it home.

Attachments

• Jeep1.jpg
    Jeep1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 33
  • jeep2.jpg
    jeep2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 30
  • jeep3.jpg
    jeep3.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 35
  • jeep4.jpg
    jeep4.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 27
  • jeep5.jpg
    jeep5.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 33
You have your work cut out for ya but looks like you enjoy it.
Love the dash!! Is that an air conditioner compressor?
Welcome to the site, there is a wealth of knowledge on here.

Here's some stripper money for all the hard work. Keep the picts coming.

Attachments

• stripper $.jpg
    stripper $.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 7
Welcome Dannyboy. ! You have some work to do to get yours looking nice, but we think you can handle it.

Good trade! From your pictures the PO made some interesting modifications. Make a plan on what you are going to do. That plan should be based on what you want to use the Jeep for. Then stick to that plan. That way you'll get the project done, and not be looking to sell an unfinished project 10 years down the road.

Keep in mind that just because something looks good, doesn't mean it will work good. Slapping some big tires on it without making the right modifications to the axles, gearing, etc. can mean bigger problems down the road. Lot of good information that is searchable on here, or just ask. Good Luck.

Ought to give you something to do in your spare time... I'm 2 years into mine...

Ya, I am in it to win it now. I have it torn apart to a rolling chassis. I will take it down to frame next week. I am sandblasting the frame and repairing what needs to be fixed. There is a chance it will be cheaper to get a donor/replacement frame. We will see. There was 42 years worth of "engineering" done to this beast so I am going deep. Wife has that " how much $$$ ??" Look already. Here are some more pics. Tub has some rust issues on rear floor panel and passenger inner wheel well. Both floor pans have repairs needed. Fun fun fun. Foumd the paint code 7y- Tawny Orange. 8c0cef9b42a9ea8e4737ae7b675f6444.jpgbb163c7c5960571ebe4ca65569fee5b3.jpg0f1f5d330a34858dd0f2e99c3ef93ae3.jpg23fa52eb5947a89e737b1ca8850a2f36.jpg0b22bd9e4980e9b9f8a486de2391992f.jpg1c855289c5ca00314b2bba4ecb0b6b54.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The rear crossmember was a bolted in piece that PO installed. I didnt notice that until we started to take the vehicle apart. I think, structurally, it will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

If your wife has that "how much $$$ ??" look on her face now... wait till she gets that "How many winters I can't use the garage?" look on her face...

2 so far for my wife...

If your wife has that "how much $$$ ??" look on her face now... wait till she gets that "How many winters I can't use the garage?" look on her face...

2 so far for my wife...

I had to laugh at this. My wife and I have been in this house with garage for 31 years and the garage is where the jeep stays. She knew that from day 1.

I had to laugh at this. My wife and I have been in this house with garage for 31 years and the garage is where the jeep stays. She knew that from day 1.

I'd like that, but buy the time I get done with mine, it won't fit in the garage anymore. The CJ5 I tore down for the drivetrain had a springover (stock CJ5 springs) and 33s. It barely made it in there as it was. I'm going 35s, with 1.5" YJ springs. That will make so tall the roll bar won't fit under the doors. I'll probably have to roll it out on the old 33s... aired down... just to get out the door.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom