Bartman1959

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Have owned 82 CJ7, 258
92 YJ, 4.0, 5 spd
78 CJ7, 4 cyl,
Looking at 72 CJ5, 304, 3 spd
I'm sure this has been brought up in the past, but I haven't found it. I'm looking at a 1976 CJ7 with a 304 and a 3 spd. Is there a direct bolt in replacement 5 spd for this Jeep? I'm sure drive shafts will need replaced, but not concerned about that. I would love a 5 spd in that Jeep. Thanks guys.

Assuming your 3-speed is a T-150 and you have a Dana 20 x-fer case. The AX15 can be joined to the Dana 20 x-fer case. Watch the pilot bearing usage.

1967 to 1971 engines use pilot bearing number PB-74 (flat crank engines)
1972 to 1976 engines use pilot bearing number PB-77 (should be yours)
1973 to 1985 engines use pilot bearing number PB-76

Also the early AMC V8 flywheel is thicker than the later ones, which may put the clutch in a bad spot when using the AX-15. Might require you to swap to a later 304/360 AMC flywheel.

You'll also need the right bell housing if not already paired when you source your transmission. So not a direct bolt-in, but easily doable with a few "gotchas" or spare parts needed.

More details on Novak's site: Adapting AX15

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks