18 years, 292,000 miles, one tranny and some gas

18 years, 292,000 miles, one tranny and some gas

cemoulton

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 1968 Bronco, 1965 Falcon, 1969 Triumph triple, 1976 XS650, 2001 MXC520,
hello guys and gals I'm Calvin and i'm addicted to anything mechanical.

I have had my 1981 CJ5 for 18 years, she had 15,000 on the odometer the day i bought her in 1997. considering her age i would assume she really had at least 115,000 miles on her little 4 cylinder heart.

Since that day she has been upside down once, on her side a couple times, washed nearly one hundred yards down the Rio Grand and on fire for longer than i care to admit (long story, i'll tell you later). she has lived in 3 different states, seen my wife and both my children come into my life and taken us on many adventures. Never asking much in return.

I've seen the odo roll over once and it now reads 92,000. so after 292,000 miles all she has needed from me is general maintenance (hoses, belts, tires, seals, oil .....), one t5 transmission, a little gas and a whole lot of love.

Other than a rear family cage to protect the little ones, her only real mods are a severely sagging 2.5 inch lift, American racing outlaw IIs from the 90's, 30x9.5r15 hancooks, lock boxes, jerry can/tire carrier, and a lot of hard earned dents, scratches and rust.

i'm gonna do a rolling mechanical refurb. patch up some rust but mainly replace all rubber, joints, bearings, and electrical. i'll finish off with a motor rebuild at 300,000 miles.

oh did i mention she is currently my daily drive? my other 4 wheeled vehicles are in various stages of major modification.

my question here is what weak points should i upgrade/address/look for.
like one piece axles (which is definitely on the list).
i'm already building a 1968 fire breathing barely road legal bronco so i'm not looking to swap out for a bigger motor (although any performance tips for the 151 chevy are appretiated).

Anyway i'm just looking to make her a little more robust and efficient, while stripping out any pesky querks or bugs.

She has been good to us. help me make sure she can stay in the family.

thank you
Calvin

Although you CJ sounds interesting, I'd love to see a pic of that 1969 Triumph Trident...

Welcome:chug:
Please post a couple pictures of your Jeep.
LG

sounds like that jeep is well loved, like Lumpy said pics would be awesome. I think we all love to see pics and hear stories of jeeps lives.

I want to see that bronco! I love jeeps but there's a special place in my heart for those older broncos. BTW welcome

Welcome and anxious to read about your build up. Love the area you are in.

Uh oh Lumpy. He has more miles on his T5 than you. :poke:

Last edited:
i will post pics of stuff as soon as i can get into my forum log in. can not log in with any account that times out. and administration will not take emails or send password conformation. i know i'm inputting my password properly, i have tried twice now to start new name and ask for help but when i log out i can not log back in.

help????

Last edited:
I see this happening a lot with new members. There is a lot going wrong with this site.

A t5 can fit if the motor is pushed forward a bit and a 4 cylinder could be done easily.

Lumpy, in this case I doubt he's trolling. This site has been having a problem for some time, new users are signing up only to get locked out after one post. I've heard something is being done to correct the problem, but it must be as tough to get rid of as Aids

Lumpy, in this case I doubt he's trolling. This site has been having a problem for some time, new users are signing up only to get locked out after one post. I've heard something is being done to correct the problem, but it must be as tough to get rid of as Aids

OK-I may well have 'jump'd the gun' here. Only time will tell.
THX,
LG

I might be wrong too, but the site problems make new folks seem shady sometimes. One of my best friends and fellow CJ owner has been waiting for months for the problem to get fixed, but sadly it hasn't been the case.

Yeah, here recently it appears we've gotten new members only to lose them after one post. Seems this site is slowly fading away since nothing gets fixed.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks