110V Plasma Cutters

TexasBlues

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ5
AMC 360
AMC 20 and Dana 30
disc brake conversion COMPLETE by adding CJ7 W I D E Track axles... totally disassembled,
1979 JEEP CJ5 AMC 360, Project #2
1995 Chevy Tahoe,
2005 Chevy Tahoe,
1998 Toyota Tacoma (wifes truck)
i was thinking of getting a 110V plasma cutter for the garage... preferably one with an on-board a/c, since i don't have shop air in my house

my compressor is the 26 gal craftsman with 160psi... works well for air ratchets and 1/2 guns, but thats about it... anything more and i have to wait for it to refill

any horror stories?

brands to stay away from?

brands to look at hard?

will it prove to be beneficial for working on the JEEP or am i wasting my time due to blown fuses and tripped breakers

110v cutters work pretty well, it's the on board compressors that hamper you. Unless you want to cut only sheet metal, stay away from the all in one units.

I have a 110 / 220 unit and it works very well, it cuts 3/8" like its butter. I bought a separate air supply and fabed up a support for the plasma. I wheel it around and have only one plug, if I need to to do some heavy cutting, I can switch to 220 and have at it.

Here are some pics before I fabed it up, it's just the separate items. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0365.jpg
    IMAG0365.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 624
  • IMAG0366.jpg
    IMAG0366.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 590
I would carefully compare cost vs performance. A 110V machine is probably best for sheet metal only. The specs are often exaggerated in regard to speed and thickness of cut. I would guess the onboard compressor would be great to make it more portable.

The best thing to do is request a demo. Then you'll know if the unit will cut what you want.

You should check out the Eastwood Co, Plasma cutter, it uses both 110 or 220, here is the link.
Eastwood's Versa Cut Plasma Cutter

I have the Tig welder they make and sell, and it works great, They make their welders and plasma in house, in PA it uses all common consumables that Miller, Hobart and Lincoln use so no worries about having to get from them like you do most times from china models. Check it out and see if its for you. For 600.00 you really cant go wrong.

My only regret with my Tig from them was they had/have a deal going on now to get the plasma and tig as a package for like 300 more than I paid for the Tig.

Hope this helps you out.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks