Build Thread ‘81 CJ5 Frame off Restoration

Build Thread ‘81 CJ5 Frame off Restoration

funderburgh22

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘81 CJ5, no engine, no trans, no tcase, d30, amc20
Just picked up a pretty rough cj, got it home inspected it, has no engine or trans, still looking for idea of what to run, thinking sbc 350/ sm465 / Dana 300. Has Dana 30 front AMC20 rear. Needs a new tub for sure. PO did a spring over in rear but not front, w 7 in shackles front and rear, so it’s got way too much lift in the rear and I only want about 3-4’’ so I’m looking for recommendations on what to do with the whole suspension. As well as drivetrain. ed31246d5dae83ed2923b88ec5a4fbec.jpg32994cb1d240535431620cb85943bfab.jpg0720bd120ab29b6cfa5c6a895e3916bc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome,

Tub doesn't look bad from what I see of it.
You have solid axle shafts in the rear, a plus.
Let us know how you intend to use your Jeep, we then can give you recommendations.

Decided on Toyota axles pick up a pair off of a 80 Toyota truck. Should give me a bunch of strength and a little more width.
690444d7c26b81ceef3008c12ab9eaef.jpg5618c69092bfeefdc17483ff80735707.jpg

Made some stock length shackles for the front and rear,
assembled frame with leaf springs and mocked up axles, will have to move the perches front and rear.

e718b315dfde5dc71588931fb7fab79b.jpg

5b1488aa42be4d3c16bdf7d49b6c451f.jpg

Got frame sandblasted and home. Picked up some epoxy primer in black for the frame coating and sprayed it in.8a3f9947d6d003af781cf75fdf1b6557.jpga58924a141ec920f15c11e6f4afba024.jpg

Now how it looks with the primer, glad to get rid of that rusty yellow.

a9bbdaeba8556a6fceb4c5e544027f33.jpg667d33ad3ab35f9e41dd0fdff72cb729.jpg
9295c248b872f069754aeb5e61605ab6.jpg

sweet dude im not sure how i missed your first post, welcome to the sickness as shum8 would say

i think this might be the first time i have heard of someone using yota axles should be interesting

a 4.0 conversion would make for a very reliable and torquey motor that uses a lot of stock components

for what ever reason even the chevy V8 conversions take some good money to do where as the stock jeep combos are fairly inexpensive

the AX15/NV3550 are stock transmissions in jeeps fairly robust and will bolt directly to the jeep engine and dana300 saving you some big money on adapters

keep sharing i would love to see your progress

sweet dude im not sure how i missed your first post, welcome to the sickness as shum8 would say

i think this might be the first time i have heard of someone using yota axles should be interesting

a 4.0 conversion would make for a very reliable and torquey motor that uses a lot of stock components

for what ever reason even the chevy V8 conversions take some good money to do where as the stock jeep combos are fairly inexpensive

the AX15/NV3550 are stock transmissions in jeeps fairly robust and will bolt directly to the jeep engine and dana300 saving you some big money on adapters

keep sharing i would love to see your progress

Appreciate it man, yeah I decided on the Toyota axles to get some more width and they have a lot of strength stock so we will see if it ends up being successful.

So does the ax15 not make the driveline too long for the CJ5? That 4.0 sounds like an awesome option for me and definitely would wanna save money. I’ll do some research on the 4.0 swap and see if I can’t find a 4.0 somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So does the ax15 not make the driveline too long for the CJ5? That 4.0 sounds like an awesome option for me and definitely would wanna save money. I’ll do some research on the 4.0 swap and see if I can’t find a 4.0 somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Just happen to have one of those right here. A 96 4.0 HO. 105 K miles. In fact it comes with the whole dam Cherokee. Automatic. Owned since new. Wife just got a new vehicle. Runs great. Someone is going to get a decent car to drive

Just happen to have one of those right here. A 96 4.0 HO. 105 K miles. In fact it comes with the whole dam Cherokee. Automatic. Owned since new. Wife just got a new vehicle. Runs great. Someone is going to get a decent car to drive[/QUOTE]

I was talking to him about that and the ax15 is 4 inches longer than the SM465 but if you do the super short output for the D300 from Novak that makes up 2 inches, it I’m not sure how short your driveshaft would end up with that combo my 14 inches or so???

As Gert said - your first post snuck past me as well...... Welcome aboard!!

Man, that 5 had a crazy amount of lift on it - I don’t think I would have had the guts to drive it!! As stated earlier, sticking with an AMC driveline will simplify and cheapen the process...... and I’m in a small minority in that I just like having an AMC engine in an AMC Jeep. A freshened up 4.0 would give lots of torque and enough horsepower to kill you pretty quickly And I hope you are gonna reinstall those nerf bars...... to me they’re super cool as they are old school without a plastic step insert. Still need to make a set for mine.

Keep posting pics - I pretty much finished mine, Gert’s about done - we gotta have someone to mess with !!

And so as not to be too predictable, Welcome to the affliction!!

Sent via my universal translator

As Gert said - your first post snuck past me as well...... Welcome aboard!!

Man, that 5 had a crazy amount of lift on it - I don’t think I would have had the guts to drive it!! As stated earlier, sticking with an AMC driveline will simplify and cheapen the process...... and I’m in a small minority in that I just like having an AMC engine in an AMC Jeep. A freshened up 4.0 would give lots of torque and enough horsepower to kill you pretty quickly And I hope you are gonna reinstall those nerf bars...... to me they’re super cool as they are old school without a plastic step insert. Still need to make a set for mine.

Keep posting pics - I pretty much finished mine, Gert’s about done - we gotta have someone to mess with !!

And so as not to be too predictable, Welcome to the affliction!!

Sent via my universal translator

Thanks! Yeah they had 7in shackles front and rear, looked scary to me yeah the amc drivetrain is gonna be the simplest and most cost effective way to get driving. Also I think I will enjoy the 4.0l. Will do! Should upload pics with the suspension on soon

Going with soa suspension, does anyone recommend xj stretch kit? It would give me 6” longer wheel base so I could run the ax15/nv3350. Is it worth it? Or should I just stick to stock soa? Will I run into driveshaft issues if i do?

Going with soa suspension, does anyone recommend xj stretch kit? It would give me 6” longer wheel base so I could run the ax15/nv3350. Is it worth it? Or should I just stick to stock soa? Will I run into driveshaft issues if i do?

you will run into cutting the rear fenders out and moving the gas tank into the passenger compartment which is not great for street applications, but its all up to you and what your plans are for your Jeep

I never understood the need to stretch a CJ5 to near CJ7 length. Why not start with the CJ7 base and go from there? I am not bashing, just curious.

you will run into cutting the rear fenders out and moving the gas tank into the passenger compartment which is not great for street applications, but its all up to you and what your plans are for your Jeep

Yeah I don’t want too but I feel like I might have trouble finding the T18’s,T176 or the like. So I’ll start out with no stretch but if i end up not being able to locate one I might need the extra wheel base.

I never understood the need to stretch a CJ5 to near CJ7 length. Why not start with the CJ7 base and go from there? I am not bashing, just curious.

I would’ve gone to CJ7 but I am in high school so my budget is SUPER tight and I found this CJ5 for $400

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom