Default Re: 1973 Frame Swap and... 

Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
dunebuggy18
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1973 CJ5 "Project" Jeep - Frame Swap in Progress! 304 V8, Dana 30 front & Dana 44 rear (3.73 gears), T15 3 spd. & Dana 20 Transfer case, 4" lift and 33's. / 2008 JK - 3" lift, 35's, Sleeved Dana 30 front axle and Dana 44 rear with 4.88 Gears, HD tie rods & trackbar, and...

Yeah, I was checking out the pictures of your future sled dog. She's going to be a blast on a camping trip! Our two mutts are considerable smaller, but they live for trail time.

It doesn't look like LoMax has a Dana 20 gearset. If I went that route, how different is the 300? If I have to modify driveshaft(s), use an adapter, etc, probably not worth the upgrade.

Have you (or anyone else) had any dealings with Herm the Overdrive guy?
Tera-Low Products | Herm The Overdrive Guy
He's advertising a rebuilt Dana 20 with 3.15 TeraLow gear set for $1350. Lot of $$ added to the project, but that's a pretty reasonable price for a rebuilt unit and an upgraded gear set. Besides, the price of a rebuild kit, synchro set, and TeraLow gear set, and I am almost there anyway - and that way I can't screw it up!

As it is, I going to have to rebuild the trans (bad 2nd gear synchro) - so not having to rebuild both units myself is a plus. Haven't taken apart a manual trans in a lot of years, so this will be an adventure!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Register as a Member and remove this add!

Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #12
dunebuggy18
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1973 CJ5 "Project" Jeep - Frame Swap in Progress! 304 V8, Dana 30 front & Dana 44 rear (3.73 gears), T15 3 spd. & Dana 20 Transfer case, 4" lift and 33's. / 2008 JK - 3" lift, 35's, Sleeved Dana 30 front axle and Dana 44 rear with 4.88 Gears, HD tie rods & trackbar, and...

Didn't get as much done as I would have liked yesterday, but then again, it's a CJ! Tore into the drivers side front axle: Brake hub & brake parts came off easily enough. Brake shoes down to about 20%ish, leaking wheel cylinder, no real surprise so far... Opened the hub lock assembly and added a service kit to the list of parts to order - clearly they have been underwater before... Water and grease make a wonderful muck! In spite of that, the hub lock parts look to be in good shape. So, a Warn service kit and a little grease, and it should be good to go (on that side at least). Then I tried to remove the spindle... Spent 3 hours getting it to come off! After much penetrant, some serious aggression therapy with a rubber mallet, a little warming with the torch, and two broken putty knives (as well as a few expletives that I may have to apologize to the neighbors for ) the spindle came off. The shaft and the spindle, including the roller bearing, actually look great, the problem was, someone apparently thought it was a good idea to put what appears to be red Loctite (or something similar) all over the base and studs - I wondered why the nuts for the spindle were so hard to break loose! Finally got the axle shaft out.

Oh, did I tell you about the PO's affinity for Por-15??? Great stuff for protecting frames, body parts etc. However, I generally would not recommend painting on your axle yokes, u-joints, and the like. It just adds an extra level on difficulty when trying to remove the u-joint. Especially the lock rings... So after some quality time with a scraper and a BFH, the axle u-joints are out!

Axle u-joints, spindle bearing/seal kit, hub service kit and a new set of wheel bearing nuts/washers, and a spindle nut socket are in route. (Used a drift pin to remove the old spindle nut - don't really want to put it back that way!) Already have the wheel bearings and ball joints, so hopefully I can get the ball joints on this side done during the week.

Long ways to go, but I am still having fun!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 03-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #13
mtnwhlr
Sr Respected Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 cj7, 91 cherokee, 78 chevy 3500 pu, 78 CJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunebuggy18 View Post

Long ways to go, but I am still having fun!
That's all that counts. It's a good feeling to be able to tell people I built that. Any pics?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:27 AM   #14
dunebuggy18
Jeeper

Here's a couple of new pics... I kinda forgot about taking pictures just about the point I started cussin' and spittin' about the spindle not coming off!

Grease in the Locking Hub looks better in the picture than the stuff I wiped out of it... It locked/unlocked freely so, clean-up and a service kit - it'll be good to go!
Attached Thumbnails
img_2730.jpg   img_2740.jpg  

Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
Petescj
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ-7 258 / T-176 / Dana 300. 4 in Superlift springs 33 in Falken ATZ on aluminum wheels.

Thanked 1,141 Times in 865 Posts
Yeah they only make them for the Dana 300 , sorry about that. What are you using this Jeep for? The T-15 is a strong trans but only a 3 spd. I didnt do the math but Im guessing your crawl ratio isnt going to be real low even with the Tera gears. AMC started using the Dana 300 in '80. About the only descent trans of that era was the T-176 4spd. Around here Id look for a rusted out Cj with that trans and grab the bellhousing and skid plate right away. I believe the front driveshaft would work but finding a rear one for a Cj-5 could be difficult , and you may need to have one made. This would be the easiest bolt in swap.

Theres always the T-18 but that needs to be adapted to the Dana 300. The Ford version is better than the Jeep version but willl require a little more work to get it in your Cj and running. You can go to Novak adapters site and find a ton of good info about swaps and whats needed to do either one. The Borg-Warner T18 & T19 Transmissions - Novak Conversions

As far as Herm the overdrive guy I never used him personally. Most of his stuff is for older Cjs than mine. He does have a good reputation and everyone Ive heard of whos dealt with him always has good things to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunebuggy18 View Post
It doesn't look like LoMax has a Dana 20 gearset. If I went that route, how different is the 300? If I have to modify driveshaft(s), use an adapter, etc, probably not worth the upgrade.

Have you (or anyone else) had any dealings with Herm the Overdrive guy?
Tera-Low Products | Herm The Overdrive Guy
He's advertising a rebuilt Dana 20 with 3.15 TeraLow gear set for $1350. Lot of $$ added to the project, but that's a pretty reasonable price for a rebuilt unit and an upgraded gear set. Besides, the price of a rebuild kit, synchro set, and TeraLow gear set, and I am almost there anyway - and that way I can't screw it up!

As it is, I going to have to rebuild the trans (bad 2nd gear synchro) - so not having to rebuild both units myself is a plus. Haven't taken apart a manual trans in a lot of years, so this will be an adventure!

Click HERE for my build thread. 80Cj-7

It's fun to be crazy , it opens so many more options!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #16
mtnwhlr
Sr Respected Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 cj7, 91 cherokee, 78 chevy 3500 pu, 78 CJ7

I have a set of drive shafts for a CJ5 with a T176 setting in my garage I would be willing to part with.

The Following User Says Thank You to mtnwhlr For This Useful Post:
dunebuggy18 (03-25-2014)

Old 03-25-2014, 01:29 AM   #17
dunebuggy18
Jeeper

Stock set-up is an anemic 22.6:1 crawl ratio, the TeraLow gears get me to the mid 30's. A T-176 and D-300 with a 4:1 LoMax gear set gets me to 57:1. Now we are talking! Hey, it's only time and money, right?

Swapping the 3 speed for a 4 speed is the long term goal, but unless I can find T-176 and D-300 pretty cheap, project $$$ says stay with the T-15 for this round. Got to make it run before I can make it crawl!

I'm going to take a run to the Jeep grave yard in Sacramento, so maybe I can find a good trans/diff combo to rebuild. We'll see...

Here's a link to my cheat sheet calculator for crawl ratio:

Gear Ratio Calculator