Question where can i learn to use bondo? 

Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
VT Woodsman
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1978 cj7 304 v8 , 4speed which i think is out of a newer cj. Im pretty sure it has a stock transfer case.

I have a few rust spots and wanted to grind them down and bondo them smooth. Is bondo the best thing to use or is there something better. Do i prime after grinding rust away? I wanted to learn the steps involved. Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Register as a Member and remove this add!

Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: where can i learn to use bondo? 

Old 04-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Kurtsara
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ7 with a Ford 351W, auto transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Woodsman View Post
I have a few rust spots and wanted to grind them down and bondo them smooth. Is bondo the best thing to use or is there something better. Do i prime after grinding rust away? I wanted to learn the steps involved. Thanks
This is what I found when I learned how to use it a few weeks ago

how to use bondo

Last edited by Kurtsara; 04-22-2012 at 06:29 PM..

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
VT Woodsman
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1978 cj7 304 v8 , 4speed which i think is out of a newer cj. Im pretty sure it has a stock transfer case.

great, then what the hell have a forum for, lets just google everything. Close down the forums people. Half of this forum is to just be social.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Kurtsara
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ7 with a Ford 351W, auto transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Woodsman View Post
great, then what the hell have a forum for, lets just google everything. Close down the forums people. Half of this forum is to just be social.
well, it is how I learned, iI searched google and watched alot of videos, my son and his wife came over and he thought I fixed my Jeep with metal.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
CJ
Jeep-CJ.com Administrator & Site Owner
Vehicle(s): '72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30 '82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30

Thanked 4,459 Times in 443 Posts
Beat, pound, weld and grind the metal you have to get as close to the original body contour you can, The key to body filler is to use as little as possible. My rule of thumb is - if the filler thicker than .05" then you really should consider replacing the panel.

PM's to me may not get answered for a while, I'll answer them though...
Blogs are for personal messages - not for questions best asked in the forums...

Thanks, --CJ

Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
bondo258
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 85 CJ7, 258 TBI, MSD6 Ign. TeamRushed TF727, Twinstick D300,outboard shackle rev. f+r Locked Scout D44's , 3" lift, 33's Bondo and Rustoleum.

Prep thoroughly, Mix small amounts, Work quickly (like 3 minutes). Don't be afraid to do more than a few coats, just apply thin layers. You should be filing and/or sanding most of it off each layer. if doing more than one small spot, Buy a palm sander, preferably the velcro pad style. And wear a dust mask.

For very small holes, permatex makes a Metal Spot Filler that works well. No mixing, just squeeze the tube like with rtv sealant.

Bondoglass and similar stuff is no better than bondo. Save your money. Do buy the glaze filler for final coat, if perfect surface finish is desired.

Don't bondo the floor pan. Better off using sheetmetal there. Some of the steel ductwork at home centers is a thick enough gauge for small patch repair in floors, If money is an issue. If this is what you are doing, make the part out of cardboard first, then transfer the template to the sheet metal. Pay close attention to rails across the botton of the tub. these must be intact.

If money isn't an issue, Body armor is a popular short-cut. If you go that route, remove all the corrosion, paint with appropriate paint, and then install the armor.

CJ, out here In the rustbelt, even a fifteen year old vehicle is pretty much a rust bucket, no matter how fastidious you are with winter washing. and undercarriage prep.

A CJ is rare to see as hens teeth out here for that reason. Mine came from AZ in 2005, by the time I got it in 2010, it was a rot-box, and it was parked for two of those years.

Tub swaps are a great option if you live somewhere with little rain, no snow, and no salt. You can barely even find a TJ tub in good condition up here...

I saw a half dozen CJ's for sale last summer while in NM. I've seen six CJ's total in the past ten years here.(not including trailer queen rock-crawlers)

Last edited by bondo258; 04-22-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Sasquach
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1978 CJ5, 258 w/4.0head, Mopar MPI, P.S., P.B.,Tilt wheel, No stereo, t-18, t-20, amc 20, dana-30 w/tru-trac, Warn full float w/locking hubs & Detroit locker in the AMC. 1964 CJ3B, 4-134 1952 M100 trailer

Well since this is a forum still , I say you turn it upside down and say "where can I learn to repair sheet metal" instead. I too search google for specialty skills like this and have learned a few tricks like shrinking the metal were it has stretched and been deformed. Sheet metal repair is art and skill and lot's of practice but the better you get at it the less BONDO you will need.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
VT Woodsman
New Jeeper

Thanks guys, i just like chattin about jeeps. I did learn alot already. If i didnt know better i would have slapped bondo on like cake iceing. I would have figured more is better. I just have a few spots with rust the side of a plum, so im going to grind the rust and lightly do a few coats of bondo over it then prime and repaint. I didnt know if you have to prime before you start the bondo .

Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
Jimbos76cj
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ-7.. 4" YJ springs front rear, J-10 44 front/AMC 20 rear,6 cy auto dana 300 35' bfg Done and gone!! Ask me about my head light upgrade harness!!!

Google it, watch The power block and go to your local JY and buy some cheap panels. Ding it, fill it, sand it, prime it then paint it.. Use gloss spray cans to see how much shows up after you paint it. I saw a show where they took a hood and put a small ding in it. They did the bondo work and sanded it "smooth" then put a flat edge on it and your could see how much bigger the dent was even though it was a tiny ding. Just play around with it, make sure you use tillable sands me primer and wet sand it before painting it.. It will look a lot better.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #10
rr41mag
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 04 dodge truck, 1966 chevy truck, 2012 rav4 And finally a 1981 jeep cj7 258 hardtop

If it's not structural. I will cut out the bad area. Put tape over the outside. Then fiberglass the inside. Peel the tape off after it cures. Then a thin layer of bondo.