Default How to clean out gas tank 

Old 07-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Austin
Junior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 84 CJ7 - 258 i6 4.2 Trans - Borg-Warner T-5 Tansfer Case - Dana 300

First, is it possible and if how so, how? I have my gas tank off the jeep and wanted to make sure it's clean inside and out before putting back on. Can I just spray a cleaner in there an let air dry?

Here a picture I snapped of the inside
imageuploadedbytapatalk1343586708.863160.jpg

Here is the outside of the tank
imageuploadedbytapatalk1343586760.497214.jpg

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Register as a Member and remove this add!

Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: How to clean out gas tank 

Old 07-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
PaRenegade
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1982 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade 258, T-4, D300, trussed AMC20 w/Detroit & 1pc., Dana30 w/TrueTrac, 3.73:1; currently undergoing a resto

If your not going to paint the interior with a liner of some type, the rust will come back. Have you looked into a poly tank? I went thru 2 steel tanks before I went poly and no more problems in 18 years.

To clean your tank, take a short length of chain and stick inside, then shake, shake, shake, your butt off. Dump it. Then take metal etch and etch the tank according to directions. Rinse out with warm water and allow it to dry. (torch to outside of tank usually helps) Then line it. Most tank liner products come with cleaner, etcher, and liner.
I have successfully used Kreem brand tank liner kits on a 26 gal pickup tank and 2 motorcycle tanks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to PaRenegade For This Useful Post:
Austin (07-30-2012)

Old 07-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
hole
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ 8, 258 I6, T19, 4-1 Dana 300,4.0 Head, Mopar MPI, 10k winch, OME YJ springs w/3" lift,CS 144 Alt upgrade,Locked 20 & 30, Husky & Border Collie co-pilots are stock.

On old military truck tanks we just put some gravel in and then strap the tank to a cement mixer and let it spin all day. Not too big of rock ought to work for a CJ tank.

The Following User Says Thank You to hole For This Useful Post:
Austin (07-30-2012)

Old 07-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Austin
Junior Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaRenegade View Post
If your not going to paint the interior with a liner of some type, the rust will come back. Have you looked into a poly tank? I went thru 2 steel tanks before I went poly and no more problems in 18 years.

To clean your tank, take a short length of chain and stick inside, then shake, shake, shake, your butt off. Dump it. Then take metal etch and etch the tank according to directions. Rinse out with warm water and allow it to dry. (torch to outside of tank usually helps) Then line it. Most tank liner products come with cleaner, etcher, and liner.
I have successfully used Kreem brand tank liner kits on a 26 gal pickup tank and 2 motorcycle tanks.
Thanks for the info. I have looked at the poly tanks and really do like them. Were most 76-86 CJ's 15 gallon? I was looking at the 15 gal poly tank but then also noticed they have a 20 gal.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Torxhead
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '86 CJ,258,T-18,4:1,Dana 44s '07 Grand(Wifey's car)

Austin, everything is give and take. The poly tanks will not rust, but theres always something that can get thru the filters at the gas pump. The later oem CJ tanks were 15 gal. with a 20 gal. option. I am not sure how a poly tank will do in the rocks, but that depends on what kind of driving you do. The 20 gal. does hang down a bit more also, so take your pick.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
hole
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ 8, 258 I6, T19, 4-1 Dana 300,4.0 Head, Mopar MPI, 10k winch, OME YJ springs w/3" lift,CS 144 Alt upgrade,Locked 20 & 30, Husky & Border Collie co-pilots are stock.

I put a 21 gallon poly in mine, and it's about 3 1/2" lower than the stock 15 gallon tank. Before I lifted my 8 the rear diff would rub on the tank mount/skid plate on rough terrain.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Saddle Tramp
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1978 CJ5, AMC 401, CJ T18, Scout Dana 300, 2-1/2" Lift, Locked

Remember one of the most important parts to the gas tank/skid plate system is the foam pad between the bottom of the tank and the skid plate to prevent rocks from becominglodged between the two and puncturing the tank.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Austin
Junior Jeeper

I ordered a new steel 15 gal tank today. I was trying to clean out the other one and noticed the fuel pick up lines had basically crumbled. Picked up a new fuel sending unit, lines, filter and hoses as well. Any suggestions on a good coating I can put on the steel tank to keep it from rusting? I picked up por-15 for all the other metal parts?

Old 08-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
PaRenegade
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1982 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade 258, T-4, D300, trussed AMC20 w/Detroit & 1pc., Dana30 w/TrueTrac, 3.73:1; currently undergoing a resto

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been on vacation this past week. Yes I would use POR on the tank and the skid. Saddletramp mentioned about the foam pad, mine was a plastic piece shaped like the tank bottom half; being important to use and I agree. The down side is that it can trap water and rust the tanks bottom. This is what happened to my first 2 tanks before I switched to a poly one. So paint it well. And yes mine was a 15 gal. one. I didn't spring for the 21 gal. option initially so I'd have had to get a new skid plate also.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
FiNorman
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1985 CJ7, AMC 360, lunati cam, T176, Affordable Fuel Injection, edelbrock performer manifold, 21 gallon fuel tank, Old Man Emu 2.5 inch lift, 1 inch body lift, tie rod flip, HMMWV H1 steering box, rear disc brake conversion, Dana 44 rear, YJ to CJ tub conversion, still working on 33 inch tires, Metallic dark blue paint Previously owned cj 7, 1979, Renegade, 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaRenegade View Post
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been on vacation this past week. Yes I would use POR on the tank and the skid. Saddletramp mentioned about the foam pad, mine was a plastic piece shaped like the tank bottom half; being important to use and I agree. The down side is that it can trap water and rust the tanks bottom. This is what happened to my first 2 tanks before I switched to a poly one. So paint it well. And yes mine was a 15 gal. one. I didn't spring for the 21 gal. option initially so I'd have had to get a new skid plate also.
I have the 20 gallon plastic tank... I dropped the tank, cleaned the metal skid plate container, painted the outside of the skid plate and cleaned the outside of the tank.

I have noticed inside the tank there is a significant amount of dirt, rust and debris.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should use to clean the inside of the tank? Can I use the same method you used for the metal tank and maybe rinse with brake cleaner? thanks.