Default Blowing the gauge fuse instantly 

Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
carmd1
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1983 CJ7 4 WD, AMC 6 Cylinder Motor Dana 20 Rear, Dana 300 Transfer case T-5 manual Transmission

I have done the following to test for a short
My 83 CJ7 keep blowing the gauge fuse instantly when the 12volt Red cable that connects to I is connected. I have replaced all the electrical hardness with the painless performance kit. with the I have been able to narrow down based on this article http://home.roadrunner.com/~john.strenk/Gauge%20web%20page/basic_troubleshooting_for_cj_gau.htm . My reading on I to Ground (speedometer housing) and A to ground (speedometer housing) is .4 and .1 respectively. Now the crazy thing is when I take the gauge out of the cluster and measure I to ground (side of the gauge) and A to ground (side of the gauge) the readings are 33.0 and 53.9 respectively
I have used a VOM (volt, ohm meter) to check the continuity from the pink (not plugged) wire at the gauge to the other end where it plugs into the fuel sender unit wire. This shows good. I have ground one lead of your VOM to the chassis, and the other lead to the pink wire at gauge (not plugged to the gauge) It reads infinitive i.e. open, which is good. I have also taken one lead of the volt meter and connected to the pink wire (not connected) and I have taken the other lead of the volt meter and ground it. This gives me a reading of 79.9ohms which it should be ok as I only have one gallon of gas in the tank.

I'm at a lost trying to find out where the short is or what I need to replace.
Thanks you your help

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Blowing the gauge fuse instantly 

Old 03-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
IOPort51
NOT the voice of reason
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

If the fuse blows with the pink wire disconnected have you disconnected the temp sender? Have you checked the temp gauge? If the jumper on A is disconnected does it still blow the fuse?

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
carmd1
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1983 CJ7 4 WD, AMC 6 Cylinder Motor Dana 20 Rear, Dana 300 Transfer case T-5 manual Transmission

IO - I have disconnected the temp sender cable. I have tested the tem gause base on the article above. Also disconnected the jumper wire going to the temp gauge and continues to blow the fuse.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
IOPort51
NOT the voice of reason
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

It sure looks like you have hit all the bases.
as much as I hate replacing parts with out knowing why, if the fuel gauge blows fuses if it is the only thing in the circuit, time for a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmd1 View Post
IO - I have disconnected the temp sender cable. I have tested the tem gause base on the article above. Also disconnected the jumper wire going to the temp gauge and continues to blow the fuse.

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Dan86CJ7
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1986 cj7 258(rebuilt motor/comp cam/weber32/36) T5 300 tcase d30 front(locker/4:10s) AMC20(locker/4:10s),4"lift,33"s

i replaced my fuel gauge a few months ago and when i installed it...i found the gauge cockeyed a bit and the mounting studs were hitting the speedo housing when i tightened it down..causeing short to ground...blew fuse right away with key on. took a bit to find it but was very careful when i tightened the gauge down the 2nd time? something to check.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
carmd1
New Jeeper

Sorry for the delay answering back with a status on this issue, since I have been traveling for business a little to no time to work on the Jeep. Come to find out that the Speedo that I bought was assemble incorrectly (the gauges) and it was touching the housing blowing the fuse instantly. I purchased the Fuel and Tem gauge again assemble the same (carefully) and is all good now. On the same note I built a 5v regulator http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/elec/11.html to avoid burning the Temp side of the gauge. It works perfectly fine. Thanks everyone!!!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Dan86CJ7
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1986 cj7 258(rebuilt motor/comp cam/weber32/36) T5 300 tcase d30 front(locker/4:10s) AMC20(locker/4:10s),4"lift,33"s

i just remember how frustrated i was....nice work