Default Hitch receiver spare mount 

Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
MoparJoel
Junior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1977 CJ-5 -258ci/T-150/Dana20/ FrontAMC20/BackDana30

I looked all over PHX for a spare tire mount for my 77 CJ5 and none fit or if they do they are $300 up and There is no way I am paying more than $100 bucks for a piece of tubing I have seen them online but dont want to pay outrageous shipping charges does anyone know any stores that sale the hitch reciever mounted spare tire racks I have thought of making my own with one of those $40 dollar hitch mounted fold-down luggage rack things minus the rack and mount a cut solid hitch mounted tire carrier, so that it can fold down and I can use the hitch to tow. but finding one of the solid square tubing hitch mounts for the spare is my problem does any one know where to get one of these I have tried a couble jeep stores here in phx and walmarts but cant think of any locations so search at I would build one but I just broke my mig, And I want one asap cause im going camping this weekend and need the space in my back seat for camping gear rather than a giant tire in there... any help.....helps! thanx in advance!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Register as a Member and remove this add!

Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Hitch receiver spare mount 

Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
phinleft
Junior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 78 CJ7, Amc 304 V8 - AMC 20, DANA 30, Quadratra Trac TH400, 35" Mickey Thompsons MTZPainted LSU Yellow/Gold. Modified with 4bl Edelbrock Carb.

Don't know what size tire, but this is under100. Used the same till I went to 35's and installed a warn bumper and carrier. I considered making one but strength for the weight was a concern.

https://www.onlinehitches.com/Curt-M...ire-Mount.html

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 AM   #3
MoparJoel
Junior Jeeper

Thats exactly what Im looking for, I just cant find one locally. I want to take this (pictured below) I can get at walmart $40 and use the one you pictured but cut it and drill a hole and make it collapsible. I just dont want to pay shipping on that solid massive mount.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
MoparJoel
Junior Jeeper

Well I just looked at it again and shipping being $20 bucks isnt too bad, I still wish I could find one local but this might be my only option thats for the link!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Torxhead
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '86 CJ,258,T-18,4:1,Dana 44s '07 Grand(Wifey's car)

Those hitch mounted spare tire mounts don't really look all that secure in my opinion guys. With a stiff CJ suspension it would be bouncing quite a bit even on the street. This could cause issues with the hitch itself eventually.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1977 CJ-7 Renegade Levis Edition, 304 V8, TH400, QuadraTrac w/Low Range, Dana 30, AMC20, 2.72's, Factory Air, Tach, Clock, red with Levi blue seats, 31x10.50x15 Destination MT's, TeamRush MSD/HEI ignition, OME shocks, one-inch shackle lift, Reese tow bar. Daily driver is a 2001 Ford Expedition XLT Sport, 5.4 Triton, Superchip-ped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxhead View Post
Those hitch mounted spare tire mounts don't really look all that secure in my opinion guys. With a stiff CJ suspension it would be bouncing quite a bit even on the street. This could cause issues with the hitch itself eventually.
I don't like team either, BUT I understand why someone would want/need one. That said, they make more noise than damage. If this messes up your hitch then be VERY glad you're not towing anything. Your hitch should handle 200X the impact a spare could ever inflict.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
MoparJoel
Junior Jeeper

About a week ago I bought a swing away tire rack, for $40 bucks, the guy said it was for a CJ5 when I got it I discovered it was for a earlier CJ5 with the lower round taillights. when I tried mounting it to mine the mount went where my taillights go so I was out the 40 bucks.

so I looked around and came up with A Idea and for about 60 bucks I "made" this contraption.

I found this piece for $30 at Walmart, its used for those foldaway hitch basket to store extra luggage.

The second piece I got at Camping world for $30, its a spare tire mount for a trailer bumper, its intended purpose is to mount with U-bolts to the bumper of a motorhome/trailer.

so I measured the opening on the folding part of the hitch and the square tubing fit perfectly so I unbolted the square base from the trailer mount and bolted the square stock to the folding hitch.

The Following User Says Thank You to MoparJoel For This Useful Post:
BusaDave9 (03-07-2013)

Old 03-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
MoparJoel
Junior Jeeper

I had to weld a bracket I had laying around to the top of the mount to create a bigger matting surface for the tire.

The Following User Says Thank You to MoparJoel For This Useful Post:
BusaDave9 (03-07-2013)

Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #9
MoparJoel
Junior Jeeper

Heres the semi-finished product, I intend to build a bracket on the backside for a jerry can and one of those tool boxes made out of a jerry can shell. I have 10 inches of room between the tailgate and the spare tire mount.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
johnnyreb
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1980 cj5 258ci straight 6, 31x10.50's. Basically bone stock. Partial Teamrush iginition upgrade, MC 2150 Carb. 4.0 headon the bench preparing for swap. I call it "Eugene". Dad's jeep when he raced in the 70's. Cj2 running gear, ford 300 cu in 6 cyl with 3 deuces. Fiberglass model T body and hand laid fiberglass hood. welded 5.38 gears and beer keg fuel tank. see avatar Wife's: Black 04' Liberty with all the bells and whistles.

how much to it move around in the mount?