Default Re: Head gasket replacement- 304 

Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #31
Petescj
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1981 CJ LAREDO. 258 , TF-999 with a Dana 300. 4in. spring lift with 35s and 1 piece rear axles. Looking for a Scrambler.

I dont want to be miserable or anything but I think you should start out with a better candidate to begin with. Look for a running 360 that needs a freshening or something thats already rebuilt. Im with Jimbo on just how this looks.

My 81 CJ-7 Laredo Build: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/81...o-build-18126/

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Register as a Member and remove this add!

Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #32
thiswontbetooexpensive
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ5, Stock and original 258I6, Dana 300, T 176 (poor thing needs a little bit of time and a few kind words)

Rep Power: 4 thiswontbetooexpensive is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petescj View Post
. Im with Jimbo on just how this looks.
This makes three votes. That engine looks pretty rough! You could ask them how much they will give you for that core and go find another?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #33
Wrangled13
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ5, 304, completely rebuilding it.

I need to ask what he thinks about integrity of to block. It's a full rebuild, but as long as its a full rebuil and the block will hold up to it, can't imagine any issues. I was hoping that it wouldn't come to this, but I don't really want to buy another engine and have to adapt to it. The guys are very reputable around here so I trus them, plus for what it is, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. However, if the block can't hold it, no point. Block seems solid from what he said. Need to ask more questions before I decide.

Sent from my probably outdated electronic device, more than likely tracked by our government.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #34
tarry99
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1965 CJ-5 Buick V6 Ford T-18 4-Speed Spicer 20/18,Warn Overdrive Dana 30 & 44 w/Powr-Lok posi / both,4.27 gears 33" tires.

[quote=Wrangled13;153121]I need to ask what he thinks about integrity of to block. It's a full rebuild, but as long as its a full rebuil and the block will hold up to it, can't imagine any issues. I was hoping that it wouldn't come to this, but I don't really want to buy another engine and have to adapt to it. The guys are very reputable around here so I trus them, plus for what it is, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. However, if the block can't hold it, no point. Block seems solid from what he said. Need to ask more questions before I decide.

Wrangled............The only issue of integrity would be if the block is cracked.

I would not go out and buy another Junk Yard used backyard rebuilt simply because you never know what it has been through and who did the work.

First off your motor will get hot tanked which will make it nice and pretty, new freeze plugs, Bored, crank ground, new pistons, rings, bearings........I'm sure your guy will check the lifter bores and replace the cam bearings ...... Timing gears and chain and also get a new oil pump.
Note: there is a 304 quick oiling update that should be considered when its apart..... talk to your mechanic.

Of course you should also have him tune your heads up with a valve job and valve guide seals........

Now you have a dependable engine that will last and take you anywhere you want to go.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #35
Wrangled13
Jeeper

Thanks for the info. I have read about the oiling update and will have that done as well. It is a full rebuild of the bottom end only reusing the crank (obviously with some work) and the rods. Everything else will be replaced.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #36
Petescj
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1981 CJ LAREDO. 258 , TF-999 with a Dana 300. 4in. spring lift with 35s and 1 piece rear axles. Looking for a Scrambler.

Not putting words into any other peoples mouths but I think the integrity issue is what we question. Its pretty obvious the previous owner (s) didnt care for this engine at all. Disassemble it all and send the block to the shop you mentioned. They will tell you if the block is sound

Am I correct in thinking the shop hasnt seen the engine yet and you are just going off an estimate? Im not trying to be a prick or anything , I just dont want to see you get involved with a worn out engine with possible defects that you cant rebuild again! I hate to throw away money myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarry99 View Post
Wrangled............The only issue of integrity would be if the block is cracked.

I would not go out and buy another Junk Yard used backyard rebuilt simply because you never know what it has been through and who did the work.

First off your motor will get hot tanked which will make it nice and pretty, new freeze plugs, Bored, crank ground, new pistons, rings, bearings........I'm sure your guy will check the lifter bores and replace the cam bearings ...... Timing gears and chain and also get a new oil pump.
Note: there is a 304 quick oiling update that should be considered when its apart..... talk to your mechanic.

Of course you should also have him tune your heads up with a valve job and valve guide seals........

Now you have a dependable engine that will last and take you anywhere you want to go.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #37
Wrangled13
Jeeper

Quote:
Not putting words into any other peoples mouths but I think the integrity issue is what we question. Its pretty obvious the previous owner (s) didnt care for this engine at all. Disassemble it all and send the block to the shop you mentioned. They will tell you if the block is sound

Am I correct in thinking the shop hasnt seen the engine yet and you are just going off an estimate? Im not trying to be a prick or anything , I just dont want to see you get involved with a worn out engine with possible defects that you cant rebuild again! I hate to throw away money myself.
I appreciate it. They have the block torn completely down to nothing. That's how I got the quote

Sent from my probably outdated electronic device, more than likely tracked by our government.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #38
Petescj
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator

Alright that answers the integrity question then. Whats the bore going to be? Was it rebuilt before?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #39
Wrangled13
Jeeper

Quote:
Alright that answers the integrity question then. Whats the bore going to be? Was it rebuilt before?
I dont believe it was ever rebuild prior to this. it will be bored .030 over.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #40
thiswontbetooexpensive
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ5, Stock and original 258I6, Dana 300, T 176 (poor thing needs a little bit of time and a few kind words)

Rep Power: 4 thiswontbetooexpensive is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangled13 View Post
I dont believe it was ever rebuild prior to this. it will be bored .030 over.
Thats good news there. You will have room to rebuild again if you ever need to. Mine was never rebuilt before and they had to go 60 over for comparison. It should run good, but this is its first and last rebuild if I had to guess. That will be my childrens' problem though...

Last edited by thiswontbetooexpensive; 05-17-2013 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: auto correct devil!