Default Death wobble 

Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Jeep guy
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 82" cj 7 4.0, aw4, d300, gm 10 bolt axles

So I got 5 brand new iroks on my 7 when I bought it but I didn't want to ruin them on the road so I bout a set of used 38x15.15x15 on 15x14 steel wheels. Jeep drove like a brand new jeep with the iroks, I put the others on and I can't break 30mph they have no balancing weights on them and I'm assuming that is the issue but its Pretty violent. Can out of balance wheels and tires cause this big of an issue? Could the wheels be warped? They appear to be good but may have an issue that I can't see?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Register as a Member and remove this add!

Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
thiswontbetooexpensive
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ5, Stock and original 258I6, Dana 300, T 176 (poor thing needs a little bit of time and a few kind words)

Rep Power: 4 thiswontbetooexpensive is on a distinguished road
Yes, yes, and it's hard to say. It is pretty difficult to get 38's balanced speaking from the guy who mounted tires for a time. That's a lot of rubber to make roll straight! Not saying it can't be done, but try and stay away from the chain stores only from lack of experience in the hands that work there.

It takes time to get some of those mud grips balanced well and doing it properly might mean unbeading a tire and rotating the rim. If there are any questions, just have them spin the rims without tires and see if they are off and mark accordingly. Mount a tire and give it a spin. If it is off a lot, try and move the tire on the rim to compensate for the difference.

This is for hiway tires, big behind mudders just walk sometimes, that's why they aren't called highway tires! Can't tell how bad they are off when you are throwing rooster tails off the back!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Default Re: Death wobble 

Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
BusaDave9
Admin
Vehicle(s): 1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep guy View Post
Can out of balance wheels and tires cause this big of an issue?
Yes, definitely. That sounds like the most likely cause since it runs good with the other tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep guy View Post
Could the wheels be warped?
It's possible. Have your wheels balanced and they can also check for damage. Usually the damage is obvious.

Click here to see my '79 CJ5

Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Old Dog
Need a Life Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ7 350 tbi, TH350, D300 twin sticked & clocked, narrowed Chief D44 Eaton Elocker & Moser shafts, Explorer 8.8 Detroit locker, 410's, RE 4.5" spring lift 1" body lift, 35" Claws, cage tied to frame, Corbeau baja seats, HD tie rod and draglink, u-bolts flipped, custom skid plate and sliders, Warn 9.5ti winch with Amsteel synthetic line

and if they are older super swampers they can take alot of weight to even make them half way drivable.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
mtnwhlr
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 84 cj7, 91 cherokee, 78 chevy 3500 pu

I don't think a 38x15.15 on 14" wide wheel was ever ment to go down a paved road at 50mph just crawling around off road. IMO

Please vote every day it only takes a minute.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
thiswontbetooexpensive
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ5, Stock and original 258I6, Dana 300, T 176 (poor thing needs a little bit of time and a few kind words)

Rep Power: 4 thiswontbetooexpensive is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwhlr View Post
I don't think a 38x15.15 on 14" wide wheel was ever ment to go down a paved road at 50mph just crawling around off road. IMO
Agreed!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Jeep guy
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 82" cj 7 4.0, aw4, d300, gm 10 bolt axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwhlr View Post
That's what I thought to but I saw them being ran on a 2005 z71 for a long time before I bought them so I thought they may be ok if they will I have no clue. But am taking them to a custom shop that specializes in large tire work they claim they can do it.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
johnnyreb
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1980 cj5 258ci straight 6, 31x10.50's. Basically bone stock. Partial Teamrush iginition upgrade, MC 2150 Carb. 4.0 headon the bench preparing for swap. I call it "Eugene". Dad's jeep when he raced in the 70's. Cj2 running gear, ford 300 cu in 6 cyl with 3 deuces. Fiberglass model T body and hand laid fiberglass hood. welded 5.38 gears and beer keg fuel tank. see avatar Wife's: Black 04' Liberty with all the bells and whistles.

that 2005 z71 has a lot more weight. so the suspension absorbs the vibration via deflection. as opposed to the much lighter cj which doesn't deflection merely transfers to your seat.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
frhrwa
Junior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1984 CJ-7 (just bought it, so I have to do some work and see what it has in it.. other than 4.2L Auto.. 4" lift, 33" tires... my '75 had a 304 2" Burbank supspension, warn winch, full cage, all the goodies, the '79 had a 401 turbo charged hi-po with t98 or 18, which ever one had the granny low first gear (never can remember which).. had all the items needed to 4wheel, none of the show and go poopie.. I don't believe "chrome will get you home"! I'm also not one to go out to see if I can tear up my jeep, I go where I must, usually with a group that I hung with.. Used to be part owner in Diablo Off Road Center in Concord California.. Jack Essex owned Diablo 4WD, George Clause was Mr. Base CAmp, and mine was "Sounds Etc" all under one big roof "the Diablo Off Road Center"..

Location: Pacific (NorthEast) Washington and Las Vegas 1/2 year..
with every set of tires we mounted on jeeps and off road vehicles, we had them Tru'd first.. they spin them and using some sort of blade, make them round.. contrary to tire makers, tires are NOT round.. then after they are Tru'd up, we balanced them (spin)..

Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
26ncreb
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ7 with 304 engine an auto tranny , 11 Tacoma 4X4 DCSB with Toytech lift , sliders , and more

Think I am feeling the beginning of the death wobble ,could steering box play be part of cause? I have a little free play.Running 32x10.5's