Default 225 v6 dauntless exhaust questions 

Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
babyboomerboy
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1967 Jeep CJ5 225 V6 T-86 D-18 D-27/D-44

Letís talk exhaust manifolds for a moment. I have a dauntless 225 v6 engine in my 1967 Jeep CJ-5. When I bought it, it had a set of rusty headers on it. I decided to get a set of stock manifolds since the driverís side exhaust was gone and the header was pressed up against the floor board. I bought a set of manifolds with rear dump exhaust and was all ready to install when I noticed that on the driverís side, the steering box was going to be in the way of exhaust dump. So, I figured I needed a front dump exhaust on the driverís side. Then I contacted the guy I bought the exhaust manifolds from to see if he had a front dump manifold. When he went to check he said that he had one that would fit either side of the engine. This means that it could be used as a front dump on the driverís side or a rear dump on the passenger side. Then I got to looking at the exhaust manifolds I had and sure enough they are interchangeable. So now I have a set of front dump manifolds for the engine. Does anyone have any pictures that show the exhaust system on a dauntless engine? I would like to see where the exhaust pipe exits the manifold and where it runs to the back of the jeep. How do others run their exhaust? Should I forget the idea of stock manifolds and go with a new set of headers? I hope someone can chime in with some information. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
pict0016.jpg   pict0017.jpg   pict0023.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Register as a Member and remove this add!

Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: 225 v6 dauntless exhaust questions 

Old 07-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
kadar
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 67 cj5 V6 225 buick engine, D18 transfer case, D44 rear, D27 closed knuckle front with dualmatic hubs (style "D") and T86 trans.

I have the same 67 cj5 with the v6 225 engine. The exhaust on the drives side comes forward from the manifold and connects to the flange pipe and wraps around the motor mount. Then turns downward going under the mount and back to the rear under the steering box. Hope this helps. I'm at odds at trying to get a radiator for our 67 V6. Not wanting to spend $500 on one. It was sold to us minus the radiator. Someone said that a 65 mustang radiator would fit the jeep but will ti keep the V6 cool enough?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
vwdiscup
New Jeeper

hey babyboomerboy: Just curious what you final solution was. If you replaced the headers with a manifold, can you post a picture, please. Did you use the front or rear dump on the driver side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboomerboy View Post
Letís talk exhaust manifolds for a moment. I have a dauntless 225 v6 engine in my 1967 Jeep CJ-5. When I bought it, it had a set of rusty headers on it. I decided to get a set of stock manifolds since the driverís side exhaust was gone and the header was pressed up against the floor board. I bought a set of manifolds with rear dump exhaust and was all ready to install when I noticed that on the driverís side, the steering box was going to be in the way of exhaust dump. So, I figured I needed a front dump exhaust on the driverís side. Then I contacted the guy I bought the exhaust manifolds from to see if he had a front dump manifold. When he went to check he said that he had one that would fit either side of the engine. This means that it could be used as a front dump on the driverís side or a rear dump on the passenger side. Then I got to looking at the exhaust manifolds I had and sure enough they are interchangeable. So now I have a set of front dump manifolds for the engine. Does anyone have any pictures that show the exhaust system on a dauntless engine? I would like to see where the exhaust pipe exits the manifold and where it runs to the back of the jeep. How do others run their exhaust? Should I forget the idea of stock manifolds and go with a new set of headers? I hope someone can chime in with some information. Thanks

Old 09-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
LongHorn
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83'CJ-8 Scrambler Slightly Modified;),48'CJ2A, 54'CJ3B 67'Jeep M-725, 88'YJeep Wrangler Slightly Modified;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdiscup View Post
hey babyboomerboy: Just curious what you final solution was. If you replaced the headers with a manifold, can you post a picture, please. Did you use the front or rear dump on the driver side?
My flatfender V6 has the same manifold on either side.
The drivers side front dumps to clear the old Ross steering box.
The exhaust pipe curls backwards, mine is dualed out.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
babyboomerboy
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1967 Jeep CJ5 225 V6 T-86 D-18 D-27/D-44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdiscup View Post
I found a left and right side exhaust manifold. The drivers side is a front dump and the other side is a rear dump. I took them to a machine shop and had the surface shaved so I could get a good fit to the heads. I am now trying to buy a steering box as the one I have binds up when I turn left. I don't want to install the manifolds and tail pipe until I change out the box. I'll post some pictures when I get to the install stage of the project.