Default Timing Gear Drive 

Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
elwood blues
Jeep-CJ.com moderator
Vehicle(s): 1978 CJ7 desmogged 4.2L 258, COMP cam & valve train, Holley 390cfm 4bbl carb, Summit Racing street & strip ignition box and coil, E3 spark plugs, Flowmaster 40, Optima red top, Dana 30 front, T18 trans, Dana 20 txfr, AMC 20 rear, 30"x9.5"x15 BFG MTs.

Kind of a random thought, because I'm making a list of items to replace when I finally get around to rebuilding the head on my 258, I thought about timing gear drive sets.

The thought was a mild cam with upgraded lifters (non-flat tappet) and either double roller timing chain and gears or a gear drive set. I've done a little bit of internet digging but really haven't come up with much. Anyone know anything?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Register as a Member and remove this add!

Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Timing Gear Drive 

Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
CJim7
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '84 CJ7 - 430hp 401 on propane - T18a/D300 twinsticked, Superior axles, Lockers, full boatsides, Warn 8274, OBA, 36" TSL's.

I ran a 262 duration Comp cam for several years in my 4.2 and absolutely loved it. When I did my 4.0 head conversion, that same cam complimented the freer-flowing head design perfectly. The 262 has a wider range then I first thought when I installed it...originally going for low end without (much) compromise to the top end. I was very surprised when I jumped up to the new head and a 500cfm 4bbl Edelbrock and found I had enough cam to support it.

I went with a double roller and left the lifters stock.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
73CJ
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 73 CJ5 4.0 head on a 258, HEI, Holley Projection w/ 4.56, Detroit lockers Narrowed D44 front and full float D44 rear T14 w/ D20 4 wheel discs, 38.5 Boggers

Now's time if it's got the original.

Gears, probably not worth it for a mild 258.

If the lifters a clicking, pull the head a drop some new ones in. Noting wrong with getting intimate with a 258.

Last edited by 73CJ; 01-06-2011 at 12:57 AM..

Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
elwood blues
Jeep-CJ.com moderator
Vehicle(s): 1978 CJ7 desmogged 4.2L 258, COMP cam & valve train, Holley 390cfm 4bbl carb, Summit Racing street & strip ignition box and coil, E3 spark plugs, Flowmaster 40, Optima red top, Dana 30 front, T18 trans, Dana 20 txfr, AMC 20 rear, 30"x9.5"x15 BFG MTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJim7 View Post
I ran a 262 duration Comp cam for several years in my 4.2 and absolutely loved it. ~ ~
I went with a double roller and left the lifters stock.

Stock lifters, double roller timing chain and gears and a 262 Comp cam, did it have good low end? Why did you stick with stock lifters?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
elwood blues
Jeep-CJ.com moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73CJ View Post
Now's time time if it's got the original.

Did you add one to many time's in there? Because I'm completely confused if you didn't.

Oh yeah, everything internal to the engine is original. I've had a valve tick for, well as long as I can remember. Originally a buddy and I just wrote it off as an exhaust leak, but last year I actually got a stethascope on it and you can hear the tick coming from #1 cylinder.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
CJim7
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '84 CJ7 - 430hp 401 on propane - T18a/D300 twinsticked, Superior axles, Lockers, full boatsides, Warn 8274, OBA, 36" TSL's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood blues View Post
Stock lifters, double roller timing chain and gears and a 262 Comp cam, did it have good low end? Why did you stick with stock lifters?
It had excellent low end, even with the stock head...but I also went with high compression pistons that brought up the compression too...forgot to mention that, it's been a while since I had that motor

I guess I just didnt feel the need to change from stock lifters...I did install valve springs matched for the cam per Competitions' recommendations. The rest of the valvetrain remained stock.

At the time, I also went with a TFI ignition which is, in my opinion, one of the best upgrades out there. After all, it all starts (or ends) with the spark.

The Following User Says Thank You to CJim7 For This Useful Post:
elwood blues (01-05-2011)

Old 01-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
elwood blues
Jeep-CJ.com moderator

I have no intentions of ripping in to the lower half of the engine. It doesn't leak, make funny noises or burn oil. If (IF) the odometer is correct, it's only got 52,xxx miles on it. There's no reason the bottom half should need to be rebuilt. That's why I'm sticking with rebuilding the top half. All good info Jim, thanks

Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
BusaDave9
Admin
Vehicle(s): 1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.

Replacing the timing chain for a timing gear set is popular with the high performance / hot rod crowd. You don't have to worry about the chain slack and stretch. The gears hold the cam in the exact position that you set with your timing.
The cons are that they eat up horse power and are noisy. They add a whine to the engine noise. The hot rod crowd says that the horsepower you gain by having the cam exactly where you want it will outweigh the HP loss. But I say that a Jeep needs a wide bandwidth. You rock crawl and you need to pass on the freeway. The very small amount of chain slop won't trow off your cam timing.
Now on a HP engine or car you would drag race you would want to stay at a specific RPM range (near red-line) then a cam gear set would keep the cam timing accurate.
IMO I would stick with a chain. They actually hold up better with high mileage unless you really get a high end gear set.

Last edited by BusaDave9; 01-05-2011 at 10:07 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to BusaDave9 For This Useful Post:

Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
fzsk4p
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): Ground up YJ. Looking to get a CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood blues View Post
Other then some very costly roller lifters from 505 performance I am not aware of anyone having rollers available.

We did a lot of work over on jeepstrokers.com and it was very cost prohibitive. The cam needs to ground differently for the rollers. Plus the design of the 4.x engines does not lend itself to the roller tie bars. Yes it can be done but the cost to benefit ratio is just not there.

Roller rocker arms are a different story. High lift cams and stock rocker arms do not get alone as well as one would like. Wiping of the valve stem. Galling of the rockerballs, high lifter loads and heavy side loads from stiffer springs raise hell.

Rollers give you a much better platform to work with. Plus you can set lifter pre-load. I am running a 480 lift cam with Mopar rollers. Valve train geometry works well.

Beware of the low buck import lifters. There has been cheap imports that have not had proper heat treating. Buy from a well know company to make sure you are getting good parts.

Another consideration is your engine oil. Our beloved Jeep engines were designed around oils that had relatively high levels of ZDDP anti scuff agents. Today`s oils have greatly reduced ZDDP.

The Following User Says Thank You to fzsk4p For This Useful Post:

Old 01-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
elwood blues
Jeep-CJ.com moderator

The whining noise I knew about, the other stuff I ddin't. Good info Dave

I've been doing a lot of internet digging since my first post and I've found that Mopar used to carry a timing gear set for the 4.0/4.2L at a cost of $600!!! But, they discontinued it a couple of years ago because of low demand. Just about everywhere else that ever made them also has stopped long ago because of really low demand. From what I've read about the only reason to really use one is on a 4.6 up to 4.8L stroker with the 4.2L block and the 4.0L head. The only place I've found that still makes them is a place called 505 performance, but they want $420 for them, and that's a lot more than I'm willing to pay.

Double roller timing chain it is :