Default Engine will not stay running 

Old 05-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
phil77
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 80 CJ-7, 258, Howell TBI, Amc20, 4 spd,

I just put a MC2100 on my 258. I took it to a shop and he adjusted it for me and it has been runnning fine for the the last few weeks. Yesterday on my way home the RPM's just dropped to below 500, idled real rough and then died. Now it will start and run until i take my foot of the gas. As soon as I let off the gas it dies. Any help would be appreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Register as a Member and remove this add!

Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Thumbs up Re: Engine will not stay running 

Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Dayle
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1984 CJ7 only mod motorcraft 2bbl no emissions on it after a fire, 195? CJ3B project have not start on it yet

i think i would check th fuel filter. sound like it may have some water in it. That would be my guess. Dayle

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Default Re: Engine will not stay running 

Old 05-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
gillmore
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): FORMER: 1979 Jeep CJ5 w/ stock 304 V8, T-150, Dana 20 transfer case, Dana 30 Front & AMC 20 rear, MC 2100 carb, 31x10.5x15 (8" wheels), no lift (HD leaf pack), Warn 8274 winch, ~99K miles. CURRENT: 2000 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 4.0 AT 4x4 Off-Road ~ 75,000 miles

I found this handy carb troubleshooting guide last week: http://www.championparts.com/carb_tr...ting_guide.pdf

I printed a copy to keep with my Haynes manual.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
phil77
New Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil77 View Post
I just put a MC2100 on my 258. I took it to a shop and he adjusted it for me and it has been runnning fine for the the last few weeks. Yesterday on my way home the RPM's just dropped to below 500, idled real rough and then died. Now it will start and run until i take my foot of the gas. As soon as I let off the gas it dies. Any help would be appreciated.
I just checked the few vacuum hoses I have and they seem to be fine. The PO has installed an electric fuel pump but it sounds like it is running when key is on position. Could the fuel pump be an issue since it cuts off when I let off gas..also some one mentioned to me about the fuel bowl. Where would that be? and is it adjustable?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
phil77
New Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil77 View Post
I just checked the few vacuum hoses I have and they seem to be fine. The PO has installed an electric fuel pump but it sounds like it is running when key is on position. Could the fuel pump be an issue since it cuts off when I let off gas..also some one mentioned to me about the fuel bowl. Where would that be? and is it adjustable?
Replaced ICM that was not it. but the back was all melted out so i guess it needed it.