Default Early TH-400 to 258 

Old 04-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
gr8cj8 is offline
gr8cj8
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1982 Scrambler, 258-6 dual port Offenhauser intake with 390 cfm holley 4 bbl. carb. dual header clifford exhaust. early AMC housed th-400 with adaptor ring. Dana 20 transfercase and stock differentials.
 
gr8cj8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alaska
Posts: 5
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 gr8cj8 is on a distinguished road
I have an early Turbo 400 with the adaptor ring and dana 20 Im having troubles making work in my Scrambler.

The problem is when I get to installing the flexplate, the flexplate lines up perfectly with the starter but when I bolt it up to the torque convertor it pulls it out of the Tranny a 1/2 an inch to far so it wont engage.

My engine is the 258 and hopefully someone out there has done the same and may have some input.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Register as a Member and remove this add!

Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Early TH-400 to 258 

Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
fzsk4p is offline
fzsk4p
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): Ground up YJ. Looking to get a CJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Age: 56
Posts: 337
Thanks: 11
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 4 fzsk4p is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8cj8 View Post
I have an early Turbo 400 with the adaptor ring and dana 20 Im having troubles making work in my Scrambler.

The problem is when I get to installing the flexplate, the flexplate lines up perfectly with the starter but when I bolt it up to the torque convertor it pulls it out of the Tranny a 1/2 an inch to far so it wont engage.

My engine is the 258 and hopefully someone out there has done the same and may have some input.
The flexplate bolts to the crank at the small diameter. At the outer edge it bolts to the converter. So there is no way that it can be pulled back by the converter because it is bolted to the crank. I can see the converter moving out a 1/2 inch but not the FP.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: Early TH-400 to 258 

Old 04-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
gr8cj8 is offline
gr8cj8
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1982 Scrambler, 258-6 dual port Offenhauser intake with 390 cfm holley 4 bbl. carb. dual header clifford exhaust. early AMC housed th-400 with adaptor ring. Dana 20 transfercase and stock differentials.
 
gr8cj8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alaska
Posts: 5
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 gr8cj8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzsk4p View Post
The flexplate bolts to the crank at the small diameter. At the outer edge it bolts to the converter. So there is no way that it can be pulled back by the converter because it is bolted to the crank. I can see the converter moving out a 1/2 inch but not the FP.
Wow, thank you teacher! I came here for some help not corrections.

Its obvious I made a mistake, yes the torque convertor pulls out so if youve come to this board to give people a hard time and no answers and I really appreciate that.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: Early TH-400 to 258 

Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
CJ is offline
CJ
Jeep-CJ.com Administrator & Site Owner
Vehicle(s): '72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30 '82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SW GA
Posts: 8,823
Blog Entries: 24
Images: 213
Thanks: 252
Thanked 4,567 Times in 447 Posts
Rep Power: 10 CJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8cj8 View Post
Wow, thank you teacher! I came here for some help not corrections.

Its obvious I made a mistake, yes the torque convertor pulls out so if youve come to this board to give people a hard time and no answers and I really appreciate that.
Lighten up Frances (A favorite movie quote ) Knock off the sarcasm - it's not needed, I thought the post fzsk4p gave was spot on. I was confused as well by your post. It wasn't obvious to me you made a mistake as there could have been other problems. If you ask for info, try and give accurate
information. This post is just to help us help you.

Your post is still vague, I think what you are saying that 'it' (the torque converter) will not engage the pump on the trans. Right?

I have never used and adapter ring but I would assume that a standard torque converter would only work if you had some sort of spacer that was the same thickness as the spacer or a special converter with a long snout or welded on spacers to account for the new ring.

Who makes the ring and how thick is it?
__________________
Vote For Us Daily

PM's to me may not get answered for a while, I'll answer them though...
Blogs are for personal messages - not for questions best asked in the forums...

Thanks, --CJ

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: Early TH-400 to 258 

Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
fzsk4p is offline
fzsk4p
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): Ground up YJ. Looking to get a CJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Age: 56
Posts: 337
Thanks: 11
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 4 fzsk4p is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
Lighten up Frances (A favorite movie quote ) Knock off the sarcasm - it's not needed, I thought the post fzsk4p gave was spot on. I was confused as well by your post. It wasn't obvious to me you made a mistake as there could have been other problems. If you ask for info, try and give accurate
information. This post is just to help us help you.

Your post is still vague, I think what you are saying that 'it' (the torque converter) will not engage the pump on the trans. Right?

I have never used and adapter ring but I would assume that a standard torque converter would only work if you had some sort of spacer that was the same thickness as the spacer or a special converter with a long snout or welded on spacers to account for the new ring.

Who makes the ring and how thick is it?
Thanks CJ.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: Early TH-400 to 258 

Old 04-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
derf is offline
derf
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1984 CJ7 - 5.3/4L60E/Atlas4spd/D44/9" - In Progress 1984 GW - 360/TF727/NP229/D44/M23 - NP242 swap in progress 1986 J10 - 360/TF727/NP208/D44/D60 - 700R4 upgrade in the works
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 451
Thanks: 10
Thanked 35 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 5 derf is on a distinguished road
In the early 70's, the FSJs had a spacer adapter to go between the AMC bolt pattern block and the "universal" pattern bellhousing. I'm not sure but I believe that they used a flex plate that also came with a spacer. If you don't have the spacer for the flex plate, the torque converter would pull out like you are seeing.

It could also be that in those early days they used a specific flywheel to go with the adapter ring. That would build in the spacing you need to run with the adapter ring. When they switched to an AMC pattern transmission case they would have changed the flex plate. Obviously they wouldn't be interchangable.

If there isn't someone here who knows, you chould check over at the full size Jeep boards: International Full Size Jeep Association to see if some of them know exactly what you need.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to derf For This Useful Post:
gr8cj8 (04-09-2011)

Default Re: Early TH-400 to 258 

Old 04-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
fzsk4p is offline
fzsk4p
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): Ground up YJ. Looking to get a CJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Age: 56
Posts: 337
Thanks: 11
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 4 fzsk4p is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8cj8 View Post
I have an early Turbo 400 with the adaptor ring and dana 20 Im having troubles making work in my Scrambler.

The problem is when I get to installing the flexplate, the flexplate lines up perfectly with the starter but when I bolt it up to the torque convertor it pulls it out of the Tranny a 1/2 an inch to far so it wont engage.

My engine is the 258 and hopefully someone out there has done the same and may have some input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
Lighten up Frances (A favorite movie quote ) Knock off the sarcasm - it's not needed, I thought the post fzsk4p gave was spot on. I was confused as well by your post. It wasn't obvious to me you made a mistake as there could have been other problems. If you ask for info, try and give accurate
information. This post is just to help us help you.

Your post is still vague, I think what you are saying that 'it' (the torque converter) will not engage the pump on the trans. Right?

I have never used and adapter ring but I would assume that a standard torque converter would only work if you had some sort of spacer that was the same thickness as the spacer or a special converter with a long snout or welded on spacers to account for the new ring.

Who makes the ring and how thick is it?
At first what CJ was saying is what I thought the question was. A spacer of some sort needed for the converter bolts.

What threw me is the OP`s reference to the starter and "something" getting pulled out by a half inch. To me it sounded like the FP getting pulled back and not engaging the starter.

Derf makes a good post on the FSJ`s and the universal adapter plate/concoctions needed to bolt everything up.

Hopefully the OP will come back and explain his issue again.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: Early TH-400 to 258 

Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
gr8cj8 is offline
gr8cj8
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1982 Scrambler, 258-6 dual port Offenhauser intake with 390 cfm holley 4 bbl. carb. dual header clifford exhaust. early AMC housed th-400 with adaptor ring. Dana 20 transfercase and stock differentials.
 
gr8cj8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alaska
Posts: 5
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 gr8cj8 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, I think Im going to resolve my problem eventualy and may start a new thread based on it.

Right now Im about to go to a Transmission shop here in anchorage to check out a 1973 flexplate and see if its different than the one I have now.

There were 3 TH-400 Transmissions made.
1. Your typical GM TH-400
2. The AMC housed TH-400
3. The early Universal housed TH-400 that could be purchased by other auto makers like Jaguar and AMC that would provide thier own adaptor ring for thier applications.

Derf you are correct

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: Early TH-400 to 258 

Old 04-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #9
gr8cj8 is offline
gr8cj8
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1982 Scrambler, 258-6 dual port Offenhauser intake with 390 cfm holley 4 bbl. carb. dual header clifford exhaust. early AMC housed th-400 with adaptor ring. Dana 20 transfercase and stock differentials.
 
gr8cj8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alaska
Posts: 5
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 gr8cj8 is on a distinguished road
Oh CJ the gentleman that responded to my post has no idea what hes talking about in my mind when it comes to CJ's because he doesnt even own one. He was just responding to respond.

I shouldnt even have have become sensitive and left it alone but let my pride get in the way.

Then I realized you were the first member and an admin. You of all people should know better than participate in such a thing.

I recieved 1 respectable comment and I appologized for my inappropriate behavior and forgive you for yours.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: Early TH-400 to 258 

Old 04-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #10
fzsk4p is offline
fzsk4p
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): Ground up YJ. Looking to get a CJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Age: 56
Posts: 337
Thanks: 11
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 4 fzsk4p is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8cj8 View Post
Oh CJ the gentleman that responded to my post has no idea what hes talking about in my mind when it comes to CJ's because he doesnt even own one. He was just responding to respond.

I shouldnt even have have become sensitive and left it alone but let my pride get in the way.

Then I realized you were the first member and an admin. You of all people should know better than participate in such a thing.

I recieved 1 respectable comment and I appologized for my inappropriate behavior and forgive you for yours.

What a kind thoughtful person.

Guess a YJ doesn't count cause it is a totally different breed, right ? I mean they are put together completely different then a CJ. And a CJ engine/trans is completely different then any other.

Wonder how I managed to mount up an NV4500 to a stroker 4.0 ? Dumb luck `eh ?

30 years in performance builds. Hell maybe I should go to Vegas with that luck.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
258, early, th-400


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone into an early CJ? thiswontbetooexpensive Great Deals! 0 03-28-2013 03:17 PM
Early cj, 5.38's not low enough gliryan Drivetrain 30 07-25-2012 10:54 PM
Early Cj-5 Petescj Great Deals! 1 10-02-2011 02:56 PM
Early Cj-5 tub Petescj Misc CJ Discussion 2 04-11-2009 08:17 PM
Early Cj5 guys LOOK Petescj Misc CJ Discussion 0 04-08-2009 07:04 PM


Vote for Jeep-CJ.com