Default Dana 20 Problem 

Old 03-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Harlen Shaw
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '84 CJ7 fiberglass tub, AMC 360, T18, D20, D30 front, AMC 20 rear 2000 Doge Ram 1500 Ducati Streetfighter Kawasaki 650

I have a dana 20 that only shifts 4h 2h and 2l (no 4l). I'm not sure exactly how they work and was wondering if any of you might know whats wrong before I take it out and start taking it apart to try and figure it out. Its not stock and was put on the Jeep before I bought it. Other than not shifting into 4low it seems to work great.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Register as a Member and remove this add!

Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Dana 20 Problem 

Old 03-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Saddle Tramp
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1978 CJ5, AMC 401, CJ T18, Scout Dana 300, 2-1/2" Lift, Locked

If the 20 is not original to your jeep then it could be the FSJ version which pushes to the side and then forward; the CJ version is straight front to back. See Pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
dana-29-shift-pattern-fsj.jpg   dana-20-shift-pattern-cj.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
BajaEdition
Resident 'Old' Jeep Shaman
Vehicle(s): 67 cj5,225 Dauntless, D30,chrome molies, detroit, D44, full floating detroit, custom steering, disc all the way around,2 inch lift on 31s, armored up 70 cj6 4 inch lift

the Dana 20 is closely related to the D18
and it has a simular shifting pin setup, If you have a twin stick that will not go into 4 low a good place to start is in the shifter pin area.
what I mean is there are 2 pin things (shifting rails)that the shift forks are connected to, if they are blocked from moving properly they will inhibit the shifting process.
Now if this is not the case I strongly suggest pulling the tranny and case at the same time and opening the case up, it seems that you can drop parts if not careful when handling them separate. Or maybe I am just a fumble thumb.
Anyway once out and connect to the tranny, operating the case is easy and if the case needs internal help you have everything together to see how it fits back together.
If you really want to know if your a Jeeper, get a CJ. Spend months sourcing parts and restoring it with the sweat of your own work, or go out and get a Wrangler and be part of the cookie cutter Jeep crowd.

BlueRibbon Coalition:
Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR the Public Instead of FROM the Public

http://www.sharetrails.org/
www.justgoodtrails.com

Old 03-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Harlen Shaw
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '84 CJ7 fiberglass tub, AMC 360, T18, D20, D30 front, AMC 20 rear 2000 Doge Ram 1500 Ducati Streetfighter Kawasaki 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddle Tramp View Post
If the 20 is not original to your jeep then it could be the FSJ version which pushes to the side and then forward; the CJ version is straight front to back. See Pictures.
Its definitely not the FSJ version only move straight forward and back. I looked underneath its not possible for the side movement.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Harlen Shaw
New Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaEdition View Post
the Dana 20 is closely related to the D18
and it has a simular shifting pin setup, If you have a twin stick that will not go into 4 low a good place to start is in the shifter pin area.
what I mean is there are 2 pin things (shifting rails)that the shift forks are connected to, if they are blocked from moving properly they will inhibit the shifting process.
Now if this is not the case I strongly suggest pulling the tranny and case at the same time and opening the case up, it seems that you can drop parts if not careful when handling them separate. Or maybe I am just a fumble thumb.
Anyway once out and connect to the tranny, operating the case is easy and if the case needs internal help you have everything together to see how it fits back together.
Its a single shifter that is connected to two input shafts. I'm not sure which one affects which part of the T-case. From what I can tell nothing is blocking it. Gonna play with it a little more hope fully its something simple.

Thanks for the advice on dropping the transmission at the same time, guess that'll be a good time to replace the cracked bell housing.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
BajaEdition
Vehicle(s): 67 cj5,225 Dauntless, D30,chrome molies, detroit, D44, full floating detroit, custom steering, disc all the way around,2 inch lift on 31s, armored up 70 cj6 4 inch lift

ok there may be a interlock between the pins sticking

and I am not sure if it is true with the D20, but a D18 shares fluid with the tranny
If you really want to know if your a Jeeper, get a CJ. Spend months sourcing parts and restoring it with the sweat of your own work, or go out and get a Wrangler and be part of the cookie cutter Jeep crowd.

BlueRibbon Coalition:

www.justgoodtrails.com

Old 03-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
IOPort51
Jeep-CJ.com moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

there is not a 2L unless it is twin sticked.

I would want to check the front output shaft shifting fork set screw. I would definatly say it has something to do with the front output shaft gear not moving weather from linkage or the fork being loose on the shaft. If the shaft is moving there has to be something loose or missing inside.

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Last edited by IOPort51; 03-18-2011 at 10:08 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
BajaEdition

that is right

check the shfter mechanism for sure

BlueRibbon Coalition:

www.justgoodtrails.com

Old 03-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Harlen Shaw
New Jeeper

img_0065.jpg

This it what it looks like in 4H all the way forward. When I shift it one position back to 2H the shaft on the left moves back one position and the one on the right stays where it is. When I put it in N the shaft on the left stays put and the shaft on the right move back again. When I put it all that back into 2H which I believe should be 4H the shaft on the left stays put and the shaft on the right goes back another position.

Hope it makes sense how I described it. A little chart below kinda describes the position on each shaft in each setting. 1 is the most inward position and 3 is the most outward position. I'm pretty sure that just the left shaft should have one more position but I'm not sure exactly which way it should be for 4L

Left Right
4H 2 3
2H 1 3
N 1 2
2H 1 1

Old 03-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
IOPort51
Jeep-CJ.com moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

the point is that the shafts move when the shifter is moved, is this right ?? If this is the case the front output shaft shifter fork is not moving the sliding gear into the 4 low position. the 4 H position is a completely different set of gears.

please fill out your profile .

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.