Default Re: 225 Dauntless Lost power 

Old 12-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
KcSolomon
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1970 Jeep CJ5, V6, Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaEdition View Post
I have to agree, something is wrong here, that engine has a few vacuum lines that need to be hooked up to be able to have power, one to the vacuum advance is one, the one from the valve cover is a big hose going to the air filter, it is a smog device, PCV, but their are a few other lines. that need to be there.
This is my distributor. I was told by someone I trust that it is a Chevy distributor. You can see where a vacuum line would connect to it but there is nothing connect to it. Has not been since I purchased it a year ago.
the second photo is the only vacuum line installed. Could any of you tell me where to run each line to and from?
Attached Thumbnails
imag2695.jpg   imag2696.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Register as a Member and remove this add!

Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Old 12-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
JR74CJ5
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1974 CJ5 ~ 304 V8 (DUI distributor upgrade) NEW cam and distributor gear set by MSD - SM420 - Dana 20 TC - Dana 30 F Warn Prem. Lock-outs with Stage 8 locking hub bolts and 44 R - 4.27 Gear Ratio's - Running 33" BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 Tires - Tilt / Power Steering - Hooker Super Competition Tuned Fenderwell Headers w/ Thrush "Super Hush" Mufflers and Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts - Warn M8000 Winch - Hydraulic Clutch Conversion - 3-1/2" OME YJ Lift Spring Conversion

Hmmm...

Looks like a HEI GM style.

And def has the vac advance port.

I would tell you to get that hooked up, and that the carb should be hooked to intake vac, but I am not positive AND I still can not understand how it would have ran fine before but not now, and with no changes...

I believe you do need to fix that, but I think we should track down what has changed since it was running to now...

Baja: Does it look as if the vac advance port has been plugged in that first pic?

JR - EVC3

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 12-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
BajaEdition
Resident 'Old' Jeep Shaman
Vehicle(s): 67 cj5,225 Dauntless, D30,chrome molies, detroit, D44, full floating detroit, custom steering, disc all the way around,2 inch lift on 31s, armored up 70 cj6 4 inch lift

I cannot say about the brand of Distib, but it is a conversions
their needs to be a vacuum line from that port to the carburetor however.
once that is on, and it is timed, it should have the power you want
now if there is something wrong in the spark system, you will have to find out what type of distributor you have and then you will have to troubleshoot it according to that, it is not a stock distributor, the stock distributor is a point and condenser style, that is an upgrade, if it is a Chevy, it is wrong, you need a Buick set up for an odd fire engine, no Chevy is going to fire correct and will definitely cause engine problems. Only a distributor set up for the oddfire Buick will work correctly
If you really want to know if your a Jeeper, get a CJ. Spend months sourcing parts and restoring it with the sweat of your own work, or go out and get a Wrangler and be part of the cookie cutter Jeep crowd.

BlueRibbon Coalition:
Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR the Public Instead of FROM the Public

http://www.sharetrails.org/
www.justgoodtrails.com

Old 12-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #14
KcSolomon
New Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaEdition View Post
I cannot say about the brand of Distib, but it is a conversions
their needs to be a vacuum line from that port to the carburetor however.
once that is on, and it is timed, it should have the power you want
now if there is something wrong in the spark system, you will have to find out what type of distributor you have and then you will have to troubleshoot it according to that, it is not a stock distributor, the stock distributor is a point and condenser style, that is an upgrade, if it is a Chevy, it is wrong, you need a Buick set up for an odd fire engine, no Chevy is going to fire correct and will definitely cause engine problems. Only a distributor set up for the oddfire Buick will work correctly
I have looked over the carb and don't see any point where I could connect the distributor. the photo's below show the carb from all 4 sides. I have found three points on the intake manifold where a line could be connected.
Once again any advice would be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
imag2697.jpg   imag2698.jpg   imag2700.jpg   imag2702.jpg   imag2703.jpg  

Old 12-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
BajaEdition
Vehicle(s): 67 cj5,225 Dauntless, D30,chrome molies, detroit, D44, full floating detroit, custom steering, disc all the way around,2 inch lift on 31s, armored up 70 cj6 4 inch lift

what carb is that?
it looks like a 2g, but it does not have the port for vacuum on the passenger side
maybe the a plate is missing?
but the stock carb on a Dauntless V6 will have a port on the front half of the passenger side of the carb on the bottom flange.
I do not see one on yours, so you either have some changed carb or missing a mounting plate that had it.
If you really want to know if your a Jeeper, get a CJ. Spend months sourcing parts and restoring it with the sweat of your own work, or go out and get a Wrangler and be part of the cookie cutter Jeep crowd.

BlueRibbon Coalition:

www.justgoodtrails.com

Last edited by BajaEdition; 12-08-2011 at 03:32 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #16
KcSolomon
New Jeeper

So here is a game changer. With me not knowing what I have I decided to drive it over to a mechanic about 1/2 a mile away. On the way there the CJ backfired 5-10 times very fast and started running like normal. I drove it on down the road to where I buy my parts(Car Quest) and it drove fine the whole way. Started back up on the first couple turns and drove home fine.
I'm not the kind of guy to leave well enough alone. I dug through all of the paperwork that came with my jeep. stacks of invoices 10+ years old. I didn't find anything that told me what kind of carb I have. Any ideas about what to do or how to figure out what carb I have?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #17
BajaEdition

KC sounds like you need a mechanic
I can do a lot of things, but I cannot take someone with no mechanical knowledge and trouble shoot their engine over the net
that thing has some serious problems form the pictures you posted, bring it to a mechanic and see what is needed.

BlueRibbon Coalition:

www.justgoodtrails.com

Old 12-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #18
67Jeepster
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1998 TJ, 1967 C101 Half Cab

I agree with BajaEdition, its time for a mechanic. There may not be a vacuum port on your carb setup. On photo IMAG2702 there looks to be a crack in the smog hose right after the braiding ends. In IMAG2700 the gasket may be leaking between the pot metal of the carb body and the cast iron of the carb base. On my dauntless there is a vacuum port directly below the fuel inlet. Iíll try posting a photo.
Normal engines are even fire, the dauntless is odd fire.

Normal v-8: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 fires every 90 degrees
Odd fire v-6 1 - 0 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 0 - 5 - 6 fires 90 or 180 degrees
Even fire v-6 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 fires every 120 degrees

If your distributor is even fire and engine is odd fire, you will always run bad.
There is the chance the engine been swapped out, check the serial number.
vacuum-port.jpg

Old 12-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #19
BajaEdition

yea but nothing sounds better than an odd fire warming up in the morning at camp while drinking campfire coffee.
Both my Jeeps have Dauntless 225s and they just sound great.

BlueRibbon Coalition:

www.justgoodtrails.com