Default YJ Spring Conversion 

Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
InstaBuzz
New Jeeper

Hey guys, new here and I am not exactly mechanic material. I have seen a lot of discussion on converting a CJ to the YJ springs, and I have a couple questions. 1) What are the benefis gained? 2) Is it worth it for moderate trail riding? 3) What are all of the things that go along with the conversion? (parts wise). Sorry for comin right out of the gate with a ton of questions but I appreciate it.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Register as a Member and remove this add!

Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: YJ Spring Conversion 

Old 08-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
1 Bad CJ5
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ-5 - Chevy SB 400, Muncie SM465, D20 T Case, 33" GoodYear Wranglers. AMC 20 Rear w/ 1 piece shaft upgrade, Ox Locker and 4.10 gearing. D30 Front w/ 30 spline shaft upgrade, Ox Locker and 4.10 gearing. Future - 4" lift, headers w/ custom exhaust.

Sorry to tag team on your thread Insta, but I had a question about them myself, and I didnt want 2 threads right next to each other about the same thing. So in addition to the questions above, if I do a YJ spring conversion, do I just then purchase a YJ lift, or do I only get YJ springs but the hardware for a CJ?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
mtnwhlr
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 84 cj7, 91 cherokee, 78 chevy 3500 pu

The biggest thing you gain from a yj spring change is you get a wider spring in the front and their ride is a lot softer. You can buy the full kit to do the swap our you can peice it together.

Please vote every day it only takes a minute.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
PaRenegade
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1982 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade 258, T-4, D300, trussed AMC20 w/Detroit & 1pc., Dana30 w/TrueTrac, 3.73:1; currently undergoing a resto

Yes, it's about a better ride and more flex. Plus you have a larger selection of lift kits to choose from. I'm in the middle of a total restore and that's the direction I'm going.
You can get a kit that should have everything you need and maybe some stuff you don't. I'm piecing mine together due to some specific things I need such as spring plate skids and greasable shackle bolts. I got Old Man Emu leaf springs, which are available in different weight rates, for $98 each + $22 for greasable yellow bushings. I'm using the heavy rear YJ springs in the front too because of a winch and heavier bumper, and I have a hardtop.

But basically you need yj springs, a new spring plate (their pumpkin is on the drivers side), wider shackles and mounts, and for some you may need to move the shackle mount forward 1/2" (drill out the rivot) because these YJ springs are 1" longer than CJ front springs. The rear springs are pretty much a swap in-out.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Tankstew
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ5 stock. Engine: Inline 6

So once you have the conversion kit and are choosing your springs you shop for YJ springs only and not CJ?

Old 08-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
PaRenegade
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1982 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade 258, T-4, D300, trussed AMC20 w/Detroit & 1pc., Dana30 w/TrueTrac, 3.73:1; currently undergoing a resto

Yes. The rear springs are pretty much the same as a CJ (2 1/2"), but the front springs are different, 1" longer and 2 1/2" wide as well. Some places will just sell you the springs if your piecing things together.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
73CJ
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 73 CJ5 4.0 head on a 258, HEI, Holley Projection w/ 4.56, Detroit lockers Narrowed D44 front and full float D44 rear T14 w/ D20 4 wheel discs, 38.5 Boggers

Got my OME springs, rear YJs, from 4WD. About $125 each.

The kit has some stuff you don't need and I didn't want to pay for. ..

Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
gert
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1983 cj7,1971 Dart,2010 SRT8 Challenger, 2008 softail custom

Rep Power: 8 gert will become famous soon enoughgert will become famous soon enough
When you are doing the conversion the minimum parts you have to have is the front spring front spring shackle mounts and front shackles from all from a YJ

Old 08-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
PaRenegade
Old Time Jeeper

No, the shackles need to be from a CJ rear to get the 3" bolt to bolt, if your going stock. For longer ones you just need to match the rear hole distance so it sits level. YJ bolt centers are different, that's the concern to keep in mind.
Technically yes, just the front springs are different. However not all springs are created equal or give the same lift as advertised. So you may have issues with the Jeep setting level. The other thing is spring rates vary, so you may not see the full benefits of smoother ride. For instance Old Man Emu leaf springs are available in different weight rates, light, medium, and heavy for the rear, and just med. and heavy for the fronts (I may have that backwards). I bought heavy rears for all around on mine. Point being that all springs don't "sag" the same setting still, or compress and extend the same when under load. Now there very well may be a difference in spring rates between rear CJ vs YJ even though dimensions are the same. That I don't know.

All that being said, yes the minimum parts would be front YJ springs, shackles, and hangers. Wider spring plates will be needed too because of the additional width and different dana30 front axle they used in yj's. Keep that in mind if you use a sway bar or shock mount stud off of your plates. And if your using stock length shackles you'll have to cut and knock out that rivot on your front crossmember and move the hanger forward that 1/2" because of the longer spring.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
1 Bad CJ5
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ-5 - Chevy SB 400, Muncie SM465, D20 T Case, 33" GoodYear Wranglers. AMC 20 Rear w/ 1 piece shaft upgrade, Ox Locker and 4.10 gearing. D30 Front w/ 30 spline shaft upgrade, Ox Locker and 4.10 gearing. Future - 4" lift, headers w/ custom exhaust.

So i would be good going with the BDS YJ spring conversion, and the YJ 4.5" lift kit? That should have everything I need. (I think the kit does not include the shocks, but thats besides the point)