Default Powersteering Conversion 

Old 11-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
The Odd One
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1967 CJ5 302 stock,

Hello,

I would like some help on doing a conversion from manual to power steering on my 1967 CJ5. I'd like to know what Jeep I can use for the swap. Any and all help is appreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Register as a Member and remove this add!

Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Powersteering Conversion 

Old 11-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
johnbilt
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1973 CJ5 - AMC360 /EB Performer intake / Isky Cam / Holley Carb - T18 - D20 w/2.41 Low - 4.56 Locker Rear and Front Pwr-Lok.

When I converted my 73 cj5, I bought a used box at a swap meet. It is basically a saginaw box, but came from a jeep. I also picked up a power steering pump from an AMC V8 to fit my motor and then purchased the factory lines to connect the pump. I think I also had to put an adapter or fitting onto the steering shaft.

You may want to contact partsmike.com for specific applications for your cj. He is a real nice guy down in Northern California with the right info and often carries many of these parts for a good price. I have dealt with him on several items over the years.

Good Luck

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 11-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
mylittlecj5
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '74 CJ-5, 360 AMC Engine. 35x12.50x15 TSL Super Swamper tires. In a frame off rebuild for a long time...

Send a message via Yahoo to mylittlecj5
your 73 came with a saginaw box originally for power steering. His Jeep should have a Ross steering system, which requires fabrication work to install power steering.
To the PO, How much fabrication work are you willing to do? I am unaware of any bolt-on applications to install PS on a Ross-equipped Cj.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
The Odd One
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1967 CJ5 302 stock,

How much fabrication are we talking about it might be way out of my league. But I'll do what I can, this is my first jeep and really looking forward to getting it on the road.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
canuk
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): !966 CJ5 / 2.5 lift/1' body lift BFG 33X12.5X15 tires Dana 20 Xfer / Flanged centered Dana 44 rear diff Herms Steering, 11' drum brake conversion.Hydraulic clutch,hanging pedals

Might want to try Herms setup, i have and it works great.
Bolt on with one hole drilled into the frame.
Herm The Overdrive Guy
I have pic if needed.
Terry

Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
KeyLargoKen
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1969 CJ-5 "Dauntless" V-6 R.I.P. 1980 CJ-7 R.I.P. 1978 CJ-5 Golden Eagle

@Terry - are you running V6? I've been looking at Herm's setup and it looks to me like there may be some interference with the exhaust manifold. Can you post a pic?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
canuk
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): !966 CJ5 / 2.5 lift/1' body lift BFG 33X12.5X15 tires Dana 20 Xfer / Flanged centered Dana 44 rear diff Herms Steering, 11' drum brake conversion.Hydraulic clutch,hanging pedals

Old 02-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
canuk
New Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyLargoKen View Post
@Terry - are you running V6? I've been looking at Herm's setup and it looks to me like there may be some interference with the exhaust manifold. Can you post a pic?
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...k/DSCF0002.jpg

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...k/DSCF0003.jpg

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...k/DSCF0008.jpg

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...uk/Brakes2.jpg

Heres a few, if you need more let me know.

Regards
Terry

Old 02-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
KeyLargoKen
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1969 CJ-5 "Dauntless" V-6 R.I.P. 1980 CJ-7 R.I.P. 1978 CJ-5 Golden Eagle

Thanks, I see you have outside the rail headers. The stock exhaust manifold is front dump and projects right where the steering gear is. I'm trying to decide between Herm's Kit and AA kit.

Red face Re: Powersteering Conversion 

Old 03-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
existentialhandyman
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1966 CJ6 Tuxedo Park Mark IV, 225 v6 3 spd on the floor, Front axel dana 27A, single lever 2 spd transfer

Send a message via MSN to existentialhandyman Send a message via Yahoo to existentialhandyman
My first jeep as well & I'm kinda in the same boat rowing the other direction. my 66 6a TPM4 came with such a conversion - kinda. PO had the saginaw box mounted on top of the frame just in front of the grill, behind the bumper. Body at firewall & grill cut to accept the column and assorted rods fabricated together. Exhaust manifolds were also modified/rewelded to a center drop to the rear and of course leak. l looked at the pics in the thread here and it is a nice clean job. I live where a heater in not an option and the headers may or may not fit. I dono.
I was thinking of trying to go back to stock but wonder why as I have yet to find someone that would advise this.
I keep wondering why NOT to go back to stock?
Thoughts, Guys?
Both my front end guy and myself think current setup is a bit squirrely with a good deal of correction needed at low(er) speeds and I'm not really feeling the PS thing anyway. the AA setup looks like it sits more like Herbs only in front of the crossmember , that has to be notched and an additional one added. Experience is a great teacher - on this Jeep I have so little.