Winter Gear Oil Selection

Winter Gear Oil Selection

jafo

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7. 304 V8 3 speed.
Ok. I drive my '79 CJ7 daily. Last few weeks have brought -7 temps. I go out after work and my gear box is all but stuck. It's like direct drive with trans out of gear the oil is so thick. I have about a 20 minute commute home and by the time I get there the trans is just getting loosened up. I run the recommended oil it states in the shop manual. Can't remember the designations. I believe it's 80/90? What oil can I go to in the winter or is there any tips or tricks to deal with this? Heaters are not an option. No power supply at work.

Ok. I drive my '79 CJ7 daily. Last few weeks have brought -7 temps. I go out after work and my gear box is all but stuck. It's like direct drive with trans out of gear the oil is so thick. I have about a 20 minute commute home and by the time I get there the trans is just getting loosened up. I run the recommended oil it states in the shop manual. Can't remember the designations. I believe it's 80/90? What oil can I go to in the winter or is there any tips or tricks to deal with this? Heaters are not an option. No power supply at work.

In the jeep shop manual ( 1984 ) they only recommend one. I haven't really had to deal with this issue down here in the south luckily. The one time I changed it in close to freezing temperature to drain, it was extremely thick and really hard to remove. Interesting question and I will be interested to see what others have to say

Wow I’m jealous...... not about the temps tho that’s to cold for me, Can’t help on oil recommendations tho it doesn’t get that cold in Texas. I didn’t see your last statement on no plugs available til now. Synthetic oil then?

Sent from my couch using Tapatalk

Heaters are not an option. No power supply at work.

The man knew it was coming but just couldn't stop it. :)

The man knew it was coming but just couldn't stop it. :)

Lol, they installed some plugs a few years ago at my work for the diesel owners and now that I have one it’s really nice, I have a 20 minute commute and my Cummins wouldn’t come up to temp til I got home but with it plugged in it will get passed 140 degrees just around the corner

Sent from my couch using Tapatalk

With the dual battery conversion I'm planning, I wonder if I could rig an inverter low voltage to run a heater?

You probably could using some kind of rv set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-7? No thanks.

I have done it for years, you just need to let it warm up before heading out. It's just the nature of the beast.

Never see temps that low here in SoCal, but I do need to let my 8 warm up for 5-10 minutes on cold days or it wont shift into gear

Try syn gear oil. ;)
LG

Stay with the 80/90 and let it warm up idling a bit. The gear box is designed to run with this type of lube. Running a lighter weight oil will not provide the same lubrication once it warms up. You might want to lube your shift linkage with some light oil for the winter. You would be surprised at how much resistance is in your linkage if you used heavy grease at the pivot points.

Well, since I'm not as old as Lumpy and my life clock is ticking slower, I dont mind letting her warm up for a bit ;) . Never had any issues when I ran the T5 with Syncromesh, But I prefer old school 90w for the T19

Up here in Ohio a few weeks ago it was _8 degrees a trick I use to do on my old 77 f250 was put transfer in nuetral and run transmission in 2nd or 3rd while running that let's a few gears spin and will help warm up the lube it helps some Make sure to set parking brake

Well, since I'm not as old as Lumpy and my life clock is ticking slower, I dont mind letting her warm up for a bit ;) . Never had any issues when I ran the T5 with Syncromesh, But I prefer old school 90w for the T19

LOL Lumpy is not old, I think. He's just like scotch, he's well blended and mixes well.

:laugh: I'll be 67 in March. :poke:
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks