Windshield: Where is the best place to find used one?

Windshield: Where is the best place to find used one?
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7
Windshield: Where is the best place to find used one? should I search some salvedge yards or just buy a new one... Jeep CJ7

Hey northfaceboy22 and welcome to our site! :chug:

IMHO - It's easier, cheaper and better to just buy a new windshield from a good auto glass company. Buying one from a scrap yard is hit and miss as they are already at least 20 years old... :(

A good auto glass company can cut you a new windshield (they are flat safety glass) pretty cheap and you can even get one with a top tint to it! At least the last one I had made was.. :)

Not to mention if the glass shop gets it and breaks it on install they'll get you a new one, lesson learned, after I broke one, "not my fault bad gasket"

Be careful of aftermarket frames.Some are poorly made and only have 1 rib through the bottom.Factory frames have 2 ribs and it will make the wipers last longer.Some aftermarket have no ribs at all.

Also if you can find a rust free original I would buy it.Theres something about the metal that is just better than replacements.Ive seen a new one rust in 3 years and Ive seen originals that look like new after 30 years

Yea just take it to a glass shop, better in the long run most of the time.:D

Northfaceboy if you are dead set on used try Tennessee offroad site and go to for sale section should be a couple on there. Where in Tn are ya?

Hey northfaceboy22 and welcome to our site! :chug:

IMHO - It's easier, cheaper and better to just buy a new windshield from a good auto glass company. Buying one from a scrap yard is hit and miss as they are already at least 20 years old... :(

A good auto glass company can cut you a new windshield (they are flat safety glass) pretty cheap and you can even get one with a top tint to it! At least the last one I had made was.. :)
I bought a new windshield locally installed for $115.00 . Definitely worth it to me.

If you were in the boston area I'd cut you one and install it for ya.. goes for anyone in the area that wants to come by the shop. Family owns/runs a glass shop north of boston.

If you decide to put it in yourself, let me know and I am pretty good at instructions on how to do it.

Best place to find that windshield is at the cat house down the street having a half price sale on beer. That gives you a few options to do while they are installing it. But if that is not happening I would let a professional auto glass shop put it in. They are not hard to do, but if you break it you are not only out the savings, but have a nasty mess to clean up. Trust me on that one, I learn slowly. Anyway they are cheap as the glass is nothing special, just flat safety glass.

Wow, what kind of packing did they use? $15 for crating and shipping seems cheap..

Was packed very well . They had Styrofoam top and bottom in just the right size box. The glass was also wrapped. I would recommend them unless you can get your local glass installer to do it for less than $150

Wooden box or cardboard? Shipped via UPS? Sorry just curious cause if I can do it for less and get it shipped out safely I'd be happy to..

wow that would have been nice to know about the 10% off ... great ppl to deal with any way i have used them a few times .... No wooden crate heavy cardboard box

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks