Will 76 and up seat fit a 74 CJ5?

dlg

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 Jeep CJ5
304 AMC
T-15 Three speed
Ive been looking into putting the high back recliner seats in my 74 Jeep CJ5 from quadratec. For some reason the only aftermarket seats i can find is the original low back ones. Would the seats meant for the 76 and above still fit my 74? Would appreciate the advice or what you did for a little more comfy ride.

Depends on your definition of 'fit my 74'. Will they just bolt in - no. Can they be adapted to fit? Yes.

You will need to modify the mounts and or the seat frames. Also, a reclining seat on a CJ5 is about useless as the wheel well stops the seat from moving.

true im just interested in a higher seat that would be a little more comfortable

Nomad did a awesome job here... https://jeep-cj.com/community/threads/72-75-cj5-seat-bracket-build.9324/

Opens up a lot of new seat mounting options. Only drawback I seen was discussed there also. The under storage would be "lost" or need adaption... :cool:

You could angle the seats slightly for a little more "belly room" but CJ is ultimatley correct the reclining seats are a waste in a CJ5, unless of course you make them easily removable for around the campfire seating :rolleyes:
:chug:
~ JR

Also, I have "taller" seats in my CJ now... Gotta say i actually hate them.

They were never installed correctly to be fair, but the seat section itself is also taller, not just the back rest section. So with the top on especially, it is a pain in the :censored: to see right, i have to duck down, and I'm not really tall or anything (6')

The other problem, is that in the event of :oops: my head will hit my roll bar side to side...

Just mentioning above in case you want to do some mock up measuring before actually buying some new seats...:cool:

~ JR

A good general rule is
71 and older
72 to 75
76 and newer
those seem to be the general will it fit rules
not written in stone, but a damn good indication

I had 76 seats in my 73. I used a 1x 3/16 flat welded to the 73 mounts and drilled new holes for the 76 hole pattern. Both mount on the bottom, not the sides like a lot of aftermarket replacement seats do.

I used the 76 sliders too.

Not too hard.

IMHO aftermarket seats blow chunks!! I have low backs in my 77 and love them. I had a pair of aftermarket high backs that I hated and I went to every supplier in Dallas county and Fort worth that sold seats and came to the conclusion that if they are less than $500 each (Recaro) they are just slightly more comfortable than a church pew. I was really impressed with the way Sasquach did his , I don't know if he still has the pictures in the archives but the drivers side looks just like the stock pedestal only shorter and he has some good looking pull out seats.:cool:

IMHO aftermarket seats blow chunks!! I have low backs in my 77 and love them. I had a pair of aftermarket high backs that I hated and I went to every supplier in Dallas county and Fort worth that sold seats and came to the conclusion that if they are less than $500 each (Recaro)

Hey now, Mastercraft are wonderful.

I have low backs in my 77 and love them.

I got some low backs for my yj from JC Whitney that came with sliders. They were to widely spaced so I had to fab up some adapters.
They worked great for getting in and out of the jeep but the back stopped in the middle of my back and caused pain if I drove more than a few miles.

Attachments

• visitor 001.jpg
    visitor 001.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 3,444
Nomad did a awesome job here... https://jeep-cj.com/community/threads/72-75-cj5-seat-bracket-build.9324/

Opens up a lot of new seat mounting options. Only drawback I seen was discussed there also. The under storage would be "lost" or need adaption... :cool:

You could angle the seats slightly for a little more "belly room" but CJ is ultimatley correct the reclining seats are a waste in a CJ5, unless of course you make them easily removable for around the campfire seating :rolleyes:
~ JR
I need to read this post that you hotlinked.. I know it's an old thread but I need to adapt these damn rugged ridge seats to fit into my '75 CJ5!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks