Which tires

Which tires

teeladog

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1964 CJ5, mostly stock, 'glass body
Putting together an old ('64) CJ5 w/ F134, stock drive train and such. I live in Central Florida where we have a large supply of sugar sand, mud, swamps and the like. Wondering what to run for tires. I see many locals running big fat A/T's ( which seem to fill up with mud and become slicks) and then I see videos of "Bam-Bam" and "Grandpa's Jeep" running non-directional military type tires. What is the general recomendation?
Thanks, John.

I really love the Firestone Destination M/t.

Try lowering air pressure as much as you can to get more rubber on the ground. Sand tires with paddles would be best. The military types might be a good possibility, but I would suggest researching that option. What tires are you running now?

Putting together an old ('64) CJ5 w/ F134, stock drive train and such. I live in Central Florida where we have a large supply of sugar sand, mud, swamps and the like. Wondering what to run for tires. I see many locals running big fat A/T's ( which seem to fill up with mud and become slicks) and then I see videos of "Bam-Bam" and "Grandpa's Jeep" running non-directional military type tires. What is the general recomendation?
Thanks, John.

What do you have on now?
BFG M/T is worth a look.
LG

Thanks for the replies so far. The tires now on the Jeep are so old that they are showing the steel bands, they are trash. This poor thing has been sitting somewhere for a long time, I don't know it's history.

What size is on now?
With that little 4-popper. You'll want to stay on the smallish side of tire size.
LG

I wouldn't recommend the BFG M/Ts for swamp mud. I had a set of the old style on my '7 before and they did pretty good, but the KM2s I have now aren't anywhere near as good in the mud. They do ride a little quieter and do pretty good on rocks though.

If you aren't too concerned with road manners, I would look at Super Swamper TSLs or Boggers.

I should throw this out; the wheels I have are 15 inch, 5X5.5X4.25 which are hard to find, there are tons of 16,17,18 inch wheels out there but the bolt pattern and center hole are not compatible so this limits tire choice.

I have these Hankook MT tires on one of my Jeeps and couldn't be happier. These are the Fourwheeler tested traction winners. They measured all sorts of things. Very quite to boot. Take that for what its worth but I would buy them for my new 71 CJ5. This fourwheeler article is worth a read before buying new mud tires

Mud Tire Shootout First Place: Hankook Dynapro MT

The Hankook tires look like what I'm looking for but I don't think they offer them in a 15" rim size (which is what I have). It doesn't look any one else has much to offer in 15" so I may have to look at a different wheel size. Again finding wheels that fit an older Jeep is a problem. Thanks for the input.
John.

The Hankook tires look like what I'm looking for but I don't think they offer them in a 15" rim size (which is what I have). It doesn't look any one else has much to offer in 15" so I may have to look at a different wheel size. Again finding wheels that fit an older Jeep is a problem. Thanks for the input.
John.

The Hankook come in multiple 15" sizes. Have you settled on a tire size?

John.

What tire size are you looking for and where are you looking?

I just looked at Hankook's website and they make a 30x9.5, 31x10.5, 32x11.5, and 33x12.5 all in a 15" wheel for their MT.

Dynapro MT RT03 | Hankook USA

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks