Wheels with unknown backspace

Wheels with unknown backspace

DaveMueller

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'76 CJ5 with an '88 258 from a YJ.
AMC20, D30, D20, T150.
I found a set of wheels on Craigslist and have done the required searching on the difference between backspace and offset.

The wheels are American Racing 44-5885, the specs say 15x8 and -19mm offset. How do I know what backspacing they are?

I'm looking to put narrow tires on my CJ5 for better snow traction. No lift, hoping for about 30.5" to match the current tires.

Thanks

Those wheels have 3.75 inches of backspacing. The offset is measured from the center of the wheel and backspacing is measured from the inner surface of the wheel.

19 mm = .75 inch

Those wheels have 3.75 inches of backspacing. The offset is measured from the center of the wheel and backspacing is measured from the inner surface of the wheel.

19 mm = .75 inch

Right, so how did you figure 3.75? Is there a standard backspace for a 15x8 wheel?

Correction the backspacing is 4.75 inches.
The offset is 19 mm (.75 inches). That means the lug nuts are .75 inches from the center of the wheel. The wheels are 8 inches wide. Therefore the surface of the wheel that mounts to the hub is .75" from the center.

thumb.php

In the above picture the offset is .75 inches.
The width is 8 inches.
The backspacing is half the width (8÷2=4) add to that the offset (0.75") and you get 4.75 inches for the backspacing.

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Wheel%20Offset%20And%20Backspacing

Correction the backspacing is 4.75 inches.
The offset is 19 mm (.75 inches). That means the lug nuts are .75 inches from the center of the wheel. The wheels are 8 inches wide. Therefore the surface of the wheel that mounts to the hub is .75" from the center.

thumb.php

In the above picture the offset is .75 inches.
The width is 8 inches.
The backspacing is half the width (8÷2=4) add to that the offset (0.75") and you get 4.75 inches for the backspacing.

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Wheel%20Offset%20And%20Backspacing

Busa, you right the 1st time, a 15x8 with a -19mm offset will have a 3.75" backspacing.

As you said, the 19mm equals 0.75". A negative offset moves the lugs inward (subtracts from backspacing), and a positive offset moves the lugs outward (add to backspacing).

The 8" width is measured from bead to bead. The backspacing is measured from the rear edge of the wheel. Typically a wheel will have 1/2" on each side between the bead and outer edge, so a the overall width is 1" wider than the bead width. This means that an 8" wheel with have an overall width of 9". Zero offset would be (9 / 2) = 4.5" backspacing.

Subtract 0.75" from the 4.5" backspacing for a -19mm offset wheel to get a 3.75" backspacing.

OP, search for "backspace offset calculator" and there some online where you plug in your specs and it will give you the backspace, or vise versa.

Riiight. So I'm good to go to put these on my CJ5, right?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks