Wheeling Question

Wheeling Question

jswatson0917

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 304 T-150 D20 D30 AMC20
2000 Subaru Outback Limited
I took the Jeep out Wheeling for the first time since I have owned it.:bounce: This is also the first time I have done some real wheeling. There were a couple times when running in 4L where it seemed like the front drive axle wasn't ingaged (Climbing up a hill over rocks and in a mud hole) I say this because those times all I could do was spin the rear wheels. But when I shifted to 4H with a little gas and a lot of jostling around I was able to get through the mud hole and over the rocks (Stalling the Jeep a lot on the hill) is it possible for a transfer case to work in 4H and not 4L or do I need to look into my transfer case a little more because I have a 2L position? Is there a transfer case for a Jeep that has 2L? I have always thought my Jeep was pretty much stock with the exception of the things I have done to it.

What about front locking hubs?

^^That's the first thing I thought of too. And no, typically there is no 2Lo, unless someone twin sticked the tcase.

If you still have the stock t-case shifter setup, and not a twin stick, I would tend to suspect you have issues with the linkage between your shifter and the t-case. I have had mine get out of adjustment in the past, and had things locking and unlocking while trying to get over an obstacle.

I would make sure that you are getting a positive shift in all modes of your tranfer case, because adjustment and/or wear issues would more likely be the cause than problems with the actual t-case.

I would suspect the 4Lo wasn't fully engaged.

My (and others I know) have an 'unofficial' 2wd low range position on the Dana 20 transfer case.
Its pretty much a worn linkage issue, but I find it handy when I need that position.

I had issues with mine staying in 4lo, with the single shifter. During flex the floor pan and the carpet would knock it out. I threw out the carpet and cut the floor pan a little bit. That made it work until I put in twin sticks. Something else it could be is the shift detents.

If he didn't have the hubs locked it wouldn't have worked in 4hi either.
Sure it would. The tcase will allow it to be put in any gear. It just wouldn't drive the front axle, which it sounds like he was seeing only the rear wheels spinning. He could have still gotten out of the mud hole in 2wd by his "jostling around" (and some luck mixed in).

Sure it would. The tcase will allow it to be put in any gear. It just wouldn't drive the front axle, which it sounds like he was seeing only the rear wheels spinning. He could have still gotten out of the mud hole in 2wd by his "jostling around" (and some luck mixed in).

Front Wheels spun in 4H

I would suspect the 4Lo wasn't fully engaged.

Is there any way to tell if 4L is fully engaged other than watching axles spin?

I would think if it pops out of gear you would be in neutral not 4hi

Based on some of the responses here I'm thinking there will be a transfer case rebuild in the future pollaly when I do the transmission

My (and others I know) have an 'unofficial' 2wd low range position on the Dana 20 transfer case.
Its pretty much a worn linkage issue, but I find it handy when I need that position.

:laugh: Yep, I have that option too. :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks