What's up with the WRANGLER?

What's up with the WRANGLER?

Suz

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ8- a.k.a. Black Pearl
Someone explain to me why y'all are always hatin' on the Wranglers. Should I not be associating with Wrangler owners? Are they to be outright snubbed or just politely looked-down upon? I don't want to get mixed up with the wrong crowd... ;)

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Tapatalk

I think the hating is a result of stereotyping. As this model line(cj - wrangler) has morphed and changed, the vehicles have become more comfortable to drive and broadened the owner base(makes sense in order to sell more vehicles). Many of the newer "jeep" drivers today do not put the time/work/effort into their vehicles that us CJ owners have to. There is a lack of "heart" for their vehicle. We assume if we see a newer "jeep" that they are one of these "new jeep" owners. They paid their money, got the latest Quadratec catatlog and ordered another $5,000 worth of bolt ons to "customize" it and now they have their jeep that might see 10 miles of dirt roads a year.

No offense Suz, but I see a lot of women in four door JKs in the summer time with all the windows rolled up, the windows tinted and the A/C cranked. These are the ones that I wave to but have no clue what I am waving at. This is complete lack of the Jeep Spirit!:mad::confused:

I waved at a TJ this weekend that had the Jeep Spirit - no doors, banged up jeep and the guy gave me a hearty wave.:)

I know y'all round here don't agree with me but I will wave to Wranglers as long as they are manufactured. I desire to keep the Jeep Spirit alive. Its not about what you drive, its what's in your heart. :chug:

I think the hating is a result of stereotyping. As this model line(cj - wrangler) has morphed and changed, the vehicles have become more comfortable to drive and broadened the owner base(makes sense in order to sell more vehicles). Many of the newer "jeep" drivers today do not put the time/work/effort into their vehicles that us CJ owners have to. There is a lack of "heart" for their vehicle. We assume if we see a newer "jeep" that they are one of these "new jeep" owners. They paid their money, got the latest Quadratec catatlog and ordered another $5,000 worth of bolt ons to "customize" it and now they have their jeep that might see 10 miles of dirt roads a year.

No offense Suz, but I see a lot of women in four door JKs in the summer time with all the windows rolled up, the windows tinted and the A/C cranked. These are the ones that I wave to but have no clue what I am waving at. This is complete lack of the Jeep Spirit!:mad::confused:

I waved at a TJ this weekend that had the Jeep Spirit - no doors, banged up jeep and the guy gave me a hearty wave.:)

I know y'all round here don't agree with me but I will wave to Wranglers as long as they are manufactured. I desire to keep the Jeep Spirit alive. Its not about what you drive, its what's in your heart. :chug:

Very well said! ^^^^^^^^^:chug:

I never bought into that mentality, I typically wave to any vehicle I find interesting whether it be a CJ, YJ, MG, or VW. When I riding my Shovelhead I wave to "all" bikes. Yesterday I was driving home in my newer "pickup truck" checking out a CJ coming towards me, the guy had his hand up waving before I could get my hand off the wheel. Just goes to show, you don't have to be driving a CJ for other CJ'ers to wave...........you just have to be towing one. :D

I never bought into that mentality, I typically wave to any vehicle I find interesting whether it be a CJ, YJ, MG, or VW. When I riding my Shovelhead I wave to "all" bikes. Yesterday I was driving home in my newer "pickup truck" checking out a CJ coming towards me, the guy had his hand up waving before I could get my hand off the wheel. Just goes to show, you don't have to be driving a CJ for other CJ'ers to wave...........you just have to be towing one. :D

Real Jeeps are driven - not towed.:D
Just kidding - we don't need to get into that argument.:rolleyes:

Real Jeeps are driven - not towed.:D
Just kidding - we don't need to get into that argument.:rolleyes:
Seeing I just bought it yesterday it was the only way to get it home (74CJ5). :)

Seeing I just bought it yesterday it was the only way to get it home (74CJ5). :)

Well in that case, :eek::banana::banana::driving::banana::punk::rock: ANOTHER JEEP SAVED FROM THE JUNK YARD!

ANOTHER JEEP SAVED FROM THE JUNK YARD!
Running & driving, in MA you need to title it before driving it on the road, yesterday was Sunday.

Back on topic.....

I personally do not buy into the "hate" either. My first Jeep was an 86 XJ because my parents thought the CJ would kill me with its short wheelbase. I was a teen so who knows. And I lived in their house and played by their rules.

Many years later, I was looking for a CJ8 and settled on a modded YJ as a trainer. I loved it and it never did me wrong. And it was not comfortable by any means.

Now I have my CJ (dream come true). And I am constantly fixing :dung:. And wouldn't have it any other way. And it is my daily driver. Even with a brand new Audi in the driveway.

I wave at all topless capable Jeeps as well as nice XJs. I don't expect waves back. I would get my feelings hurt from many of the JK crowd as (previously stated) they don't know the courtesy yet. They will either figure it out or get w different vehicle in a couple of years.

A couple parked next to me in their brand new JK and after complimenting me on my Jeep, the lady asked if I knew if she could go doorless as well. I showed her how and suggested that she take the hard top off as well. They had the JK one day. The dealership should explain how to take the top and doors off. I blame them.

Wow. Sorry for the long post.

Dain

The CJ crowd appreciates older things are more nostalgic. Also don't mind getting their hands dirty and not having all the modern comforts. Salt of the earth type people IMO.

I don't hate on anyone though, I'm glad they all dont have CJs!

I would speak to a Wrangler owner! and do on a regular basis. I think sometimes we get a bit cocky because we are builders and not buyers, for the most part. I am sure that the Wrangler crowd has words to describe CJs as well. At least those that know wat a CJ is and realize that there is no such thing as a CJ7 wrangler. No matter how much they wish there was.

To me the "hate" is all in fun. But also, I consider any model after the CJ "fake", because the (civilian Jeep) CJ is the "civilian" version of the U. S. military (general purpose) GP vehicle or Jeep. Once it was phased out, Chrysler changed it into the Wrangler, which is more like a regular civilian vehicle. Kinda similar to what GM has done to the HMMWV (Hummer), with the H2 and H3. But, I still hang out with and wave at all Jeepers. It's all in good fun...

"Libertatem Aut Mortem"

Last edited:
I like the "we are builders, not buyers" sentiment. If I come across as a hater, I need to work on that.

The CJ vs Wrangler rivalry to me is more like sibling rivalry than a Hatfield vs McCoy tension.

The CJ lets me remember better days.... When engines and transmissions were simple and high schools had auto shop classes.

Modern vehicles are built to be leased, not owned. They are built to be recycled after planned obsolescence is reached. I have a 2007 Freightliner Sprinter van.

It takes a $6000 computer to run a full diagnostic. There are 22 computers in it, there are three types of communication busses and when I blew a transmission speed sensor, I asked how I can stop that from happening again. "You can't" was the answer.

I own my CJ. My van owns me, even though I paid cash for it.

Wranglers are more modern; the first "Jeep" step towards vehicles having us by the short hairs. I won't look down on a wrangler driver, but we have different reasons for owning a Jeep and flipping people poop about it is just harmless fun.

-Jon

Last edited:
Once it was phased out, Chrysler changed it into the Wrangler, which is more like a regular civilian vehicle. Kinda similar to what GM has done to the HMMWV (Hummer), with the H2 and H3.
Incorrect. The wrangler is not the same lineage as the Jeep is. It's open style body and the initial 258 engine are the only similarities. The wrangler's design was based mostly on the downsized cherokee that came out in 84.

Suz - Most of the time it's in good fun just as you would poke at a bronco or samuri owner. I'd say any "hatin" comes from the ignorance of knowledge about the Jeep, along with Chrysler's campaign to muddy the water and fool the uneducated public about what a Jeep is. They didn't buy the rights to the Jeep name for their vehicle lineup. They bought it for it's notoriety and iconic status. And since the Jeep model was discontinued they could use that notoriety and apply it to ALL their lineup, essentially spitting on the grave of the lone vehicle that help win wars and build America's farmlands. They've jumped on the coattails of the iconic Jeep and rode it right to the bank.
And now with the passage of time a new generation or two has been under the false impression that any Jeep brand vehicle is a "Jeep" (since technically it is due to the brand name being the same name) and since the wranglers have that open body style many think it's just a continued evolution of the same model, which it never was.
Same goes with the Jeep wave. Now suddenly people think the Jeep wave applies to all jeep brand vehicles. But for 40+ years it was only between Jeeps. Gladiators, Wagoneers, Commando's, etc were never part of that wave.

Incorrect. The wrangler is not the same lineage as the Jeep is. It's open style body and the initial 258 engine are the only similarities. The wrangler's design was based mostly on the downsized cherokee that came out in 84.

You basically just restated my point... Lol

The YJ Wrangler does share "lineage"... I have a YJ body on my CJ frame with a CJ hood/fenders, hard and softtop. The Tailgate and dash are about the only difference between the two tubs. They are so much the same, that most parts catalogs list the CJ7 and YJ together. Eventually, they did completely morph into a whole new vehicle. I was merely stating my opinion.

YJ and XJ were both designed by AMC.

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/showthread.php?p=185037

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler

"Libertatem Aut Mortem"

Last edited:
Chrysler's campaign to muddy the water and fool the uneducated public about what a Jeep is. They didn't buy the rights to the Jeep name for their vehicle lineup. They bought it for it's notoriety and iconic status. And since the Jeep model was discontinued they could use that notoriety and apply it to ALL their lineup, essentially spitting on the grave of the lone vehicle that help win wars and build America's farmlands. They've jumped on the coattails of the iconic Jeep and rode it right to the bank.

Would you be happier if Jeep was a forgotten name like DeLoren, Edsel or Packer? I personally would not. Just so we are all clear, AMC designed the '86 Wrangler not Chrysler.

Awkward silence {{{cricket chirping}}}

"Libertatem Aut Mortem"

The CJ crowd appreciates older things are more nostalgic. Also don't mind getting their hands dirty and not having all the modern comforts. Salt of the earth type people IMO.

I don't hate on anyone though, I'm glad they all dont have CJs!

Heck yeah , let them buy their (insert letter here) J. More CJs for me.:D

I have participated in the "Wrangler is not a Jeep" arguement, occasionally I even go one step further to include the CJ7. A real Jeep has a hump in the door. ....... But honestly it's all part of an inner circle joke with me. I honestly felt bad yesterday. At a gas station there was a nice shinny black Jeep with a hard top and big tires. The guy was obviously mighty proud of his Jeep, so I said, "Nice Chrysler". You'd have thought I'd hit the poor man in the face with a board. I was instantly ashamed and laughed it off saying, "Sorry it's just a silly CJ thing." He complinented my Jeep and drove on. I don't think I'll ever do that again. But why? Lots of people say , "Nice Honda" or 'Nice Harley-Davidson", I don't think I would feel bad if someone said , "Nice AMC." or "Nice Kaiser" or "Nice Willys or universal or ford", for that matter.... I think it's all in fun, but others take it far to seriously for my taste.

My wife says Jeep JK, like, "Jeep, JK (just kidding)" lmbo

"Libertatem Aut Mortem"

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks