What trans should I use for my 86 Cj with an LS swap

What trans should I use for my 86 Cj with an LS swap

logger

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 cj7 inline 6cyl. auto trans
I have a 1986 CJ 7 that currently has an I-6 in it. I am going to be doing a 5.3l LS swap and I am curious if there is an adapter plate or bell housing that I can use to adapt the auto trans that is currently in the Jeep to fit to the LS.

Great, thanks. Also is there a certain place you would recommend to order a kit for the conversion as far as wiring harness, engine mounts, headers, gauges, etc?

Great, thanks. Also is there a certain place you would recommend to order a kit for the conversion as far as wiring harness, engine mounts, headers, gauges, etc?

There MANY places to get most of this. Be careful on gauges...they're rumored to be better so long as EACH is grounded well. Speedhut is the high-end option that many go with...but they're expensive.

Other's can answer on wiring harness...Painless comes to mind but there are others and some here have good input on what is good/bad on each.

Headers will spark a religious discussion, but others can comment on best set if you choose to go that way.

I used an engine controller kit from Mast Performance. Truly awsome plug and play kit. As a bonus, it is capable of driving your original gauges with a simple calibration. As an additional bonus, rest assured you won’t regret the swap.

*Personally* I'm not sure a TF-999 will stand up to an LS, but anything is possible.

Do you mean vehicle wiring harness or engine control wiring harness?

Not much to the vehicle wiring harness once the emissions :dung: is removed, it's often cheaper and more functional to build the basic light & HVAC harness yourself.

The engine management harness will be specific to the module you use,
Example, non-electronic engine trans (TF-999), electrically controlled auto trans, same with manual trans...

-------------------

Headers will spark a religious discussion, but others can comment on best set if you choose to go that way.

Read more: https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/what-trans-should-i-use-my-86-cj-ls-swap-32413/#ixzz6O4MPE4Aq

Ain't that the truth!

SO MANY with big ideas on headers & camshafts, so few ever been in a Dyno room, but speaking with absolute authority...

I've spent HUNDREDS of hours in a dyno room, and I can name at least 20 variables that would effect exactly same set of headers, but not one word about those...

More 'Belief/Religion' than scientific proof.

--------------------------

I give the front U joints about the third full throttle jump... ;)
I switched from I-6 to a mildly built 360 and the both front U joints lasted about a 1.5 miles from the trail head...
The first about 150 yards when I bumped the throttle like I used to do the I-6, and the banging commenced,
Stopped, changed that quick since I was set up for it,

The second was about 1.5 miles from the trail head when I had to climb on wet clay and get around a tree about 2/3 the way up the hillside...
Last spare 'U' joint and changing on the hillside wasn't fun, nothing to anchor the winch to on top, so leaned it against the tree and commenced to changing the second U joint in an hour...

That V-8 lead to an outboarded HD Dana 44 up front, and a Ford 9 inch out back...

Build, wheel, break, repeat... We all know how that works! ;)

Last edited:
I went with a new harness from Swap Specialities. It has the plugs in place for upgrading to 4L60 or other electronic trans if I ever feel the need.

thank you for all the information im probably going with a 700r tranny
700r is a good choice. Most automatic Jeeps from the 70's used the TH400. So we know that style will fit.

Good choice. And do keep the lock-up feature. Don’t forget it.

Sorry, late to the party here. Without a doubt use a Hydramatic 4L60E or 4L65E (the heavy duty version) and don't consider anything else. The Vortec LM7 and others in the line all came FACTORY with this transmission and the transmission can also be tuned for refined operation in the vehicle if it is the E model which stands for electronically controlled. Same harness that controls the engine to control the transmission. AA has the adapter for your Jeep transfer case. I prefer the D300 myself.

This is what I ran for several years in my CJ, It was a match made in heaven. Stay away from the older technology and run what is up to date with your proposed engine swap. You won't regret it. I was sure glad I did!

RR

Mark Bowler (Bowler Transmissions) has a pretty good electronic module for the 4L60E & 8L60E

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks