What? A CJ that rattles?

What? A CJ that rattles?

b3uhbp

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7, 258, T5, Dana 300, Dana 30' AMC 20' Weber 32/36 carb, DUI HEI ignition, 2.5" suspension lift
Okay, I know I should learn to live with rattles but I want to TRY and run this one down. I recently started hearing a loud rattle in the far rear end of the tub whenever I go over bumps and dips. It seems to imitate from under the far rear floor deck or between the gas tank and the deck. I've tried to see something loose with no luck. Have not yet lowered the gas tank to get a visual but that may be next. Anyone out there ever experience or fix this situation? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Look in the wheel well. I don't remember what the newer Jeeps had, but my '75 has a baffle between the rear wheel and the tail light/filler tube area. You might find something (a big ol' snow ball for instance) trapped in there or it is possible that the demon rust popped something loose. I see your in Texas so probably not snow or rust, but an accumulation of that nice red Texas clay might be the problem. Of course there's also shocks, shackle bushing problems and spring problems to look at. Do you have a tailgate chain?

Check your spare tire carrier also. I had a bump, rattle, noise that ticked me off and after I replaced all of the rubber bumper things on the spare tire carrier it went away :D

Check your spare tire carrier also. I had a bump, rattle, noise that ticked me off and after I replaced all of the rubber bumper things on the spare tire carrier it went away :D
Yeah, I have had those also. Removing the rack and going for a test drive would show if it is an issue.

Swap you a rattle for a very annoying small chirping bird that appears to be living somewhere on my CJ.

There are two side straps and one top strap that hold the gas tank in place. That being said, one of them could have come loose. Rod

Fender well headers and a pair of Thrush glass packs, you'll never hear another rattle! :chug:

Seriously though, have someone else drive the Jeep while you ride in the back and see if you can narrow it down to a more specific area. Then roll up your sleeves and go diggin' for it. You'll find it eventually, or it may just quit on its own (when it falls off!).

No rust, snow or mud. I have cables on the tailgate not chains. I have checked bushings and shocks. Can't see anything. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep looking.

The spare tire carrier is a good thought but recently replaced bolts to eliminate all movement.

The gas tank straps is a good idea. I did ride in the back to try and pin point the location and seems to be coming from right under the rear deck and it sounds like something bouncing and it will make 2 or 3 bumps e each time. I will report back what I find. Thanks

Last edited:
See how much movement your exhaust pipe has, you may have a broken hanger.
Also check your tranny mount.
Check the bolts on the skid plate.
Don't forget to see if the p'brake cable is hit'n somedangthing.
See if you have loose/missing body mount bolts.
LG

See how much movement your exhaust pipe has, you may have a broken hanger.
Also check your tranny mount.
Check the bolts on the skid plate.
Don't forget to see if the p'brake cable is hit'n somedangthing.
See if you have loose/missing body mount bolts.
LG
Well I dropped the tank but couldn't see anything that could rattle. When I went to bolt up the tank I was pinching one of the fuel hoses and cutting off fuel and the engine would die. After 5-7 attempts I finally got it bolted up with no pinched fuel lines. Also, seems the rattle is gone or almost gone. I couldn't see anything that could have made that much noise but obviously it doesn't take much. For others with this problem I would try slipping a thin stick like a stir stick in between tank and deck to see if you can isolate what's moving. The only thing I have not checked is the emergency brake cable. Thanks for all the help.

When you dropped the tank, was there a plastic liner between it and the skid plate? If not there should be. Rod

Well I finally found the rattle and it was the most obvious thing. The spare tire carrier was making a small noise that resonated to sound pretty loud. With over sized tires it is difficult to get the tire locked down so there is no movement. I allowed the spare to rest against the bumper and that fixed it.

:D Glad you found it!

I know this will sound like a stupid question but where do you go to start a thread? Can't find it for the life of me.

I know this will sound like a stupid question but where do you go to start a thread? Can't find it for the life of me.

Top left hand corner, is a button that states "New Thread" on the Chassis and Body page.

Got it. Thanks

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks